Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Condense your club cards

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems that every store nowadays wants you to be a "member" of their "buying club," and they promise all kinds of discounts and benefits if you'll carry and use one of their cards. But let's face it, no one's wallet is that big! Here's a way to shed the cards while still keeping the benefits.

Edit Steps

1. 1
    Collect all of your club cards. Examine each for what allows the issuer to distinguish you from other customers with club cards they have issued. Usually this is a bar code, but sometimes it's just a number.

Ads by Google

FreeCreditScore.comâ„¢

A Good Credit Score is 700 & Above. See Yours in 2 Easy Steps for $0.
    FreeCreditScore.com/OfficialSite
  2. 2
    Photocopy the bar codes.
    Photocopy the bar codes.
    Photocopy the bar codes.Take the club cards with bar codes, and photocopy the bar codes. You should be able to lay many of the cards side by side on the photocopy machine, and photocopy most of them all at once.
  3. 3
    Cut out the bar codes from the copy. Using scissors, carefully cut out each bar code. Include any alphanumeric information underneath the bar code.
  4. 4
    Assemble your barcode card.
    Assemble your barcode card.
    Assemble your barcode card.On a clean sheet of white paper, lay out the cut out bar codes in a line. They should be laid out close enough together to fit as many as possible inside a space no larger than two club cards side-by-side. They should be far enough apart that a bar code scanner can easily scan one without hitting another. Leave enough space along one edge so there's room left to label each barcode.
  5. 5
    Secure the bar codes to the paper. You'll need to secure them to the paper so they don't move around. You can use removable tape for this, or a glue stick. They don't need to be securely fastened, just well enough to be able to pick up the paper and flip it over without having them fall off.
  6. 6
    Label the bar codes. With a black pen, label each barcode with the name of the store or entity that issued the club card for that barcode.
  7. 7
    Photocopy the assembled bar codes.Take the sheet of paper with the bar codes assembled on it, and photocopy it.
  8. 8
    Cut out the card. Cut out the side-by-side card, and fold the copy in half to make your barcode card.

Cut out the card.
    Cut out the card.
  9. 9
    Laminate the card.
    Laminate the card.
    Laminate the card. If you don't have a laminating machine, you can get it done at a local office store or do it yourself: Take a piece of wide clear packing tape, larger than the card, and cover the folded card with it. Flip it over and cover it with a second piece of packing tape. Depending on the width of the packing tape, you may need to use several pieces to cover the whole thing.
  10. 10
    Cut away the extra tape.
    Cut away the extra tape.
    Cut away the extra tape. Cut away excess tape, being sure to leave a little clear tape around the edge. Voila! Ready to be used at your favorite store!
  11. 11
    What's in YOUR wallet?.
    What's in YOUR wallet?.
    What's in YOUR wallet?

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Replies (11-17):
a_and_j_momma
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Awesome! I had an app I used to use too

chrissysnow22
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM
Interesting.
I just keep the phone numbers for some, some on my keychain and the rest I keep in my wallet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jody230
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:53 AM

This is a great idea. Currently I have an old altoid tin that I keep the keychain size cards in for the stores I visit less often. I keep the tin in my glove compartment.

kaitybird
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Key Ring for the android does that too!  :)

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 27, 2012 at 3:17 AM
Thank you for sharing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumeshoe
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I have a separate key ring just for cards. There are just so many. Now walgreens has one. gee one more. Not sure if I will even get that one. Just depends on the sales in the future.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM
That's a great idea. I've had several cards snap off of my key ring, then I have to get a new card, etc. Plus, I'm the only one who keeps the cards, so if hubby goes to the store without me he can't get the card deals. This way we could each have all of the cards!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)