Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas
Do you buy things from your kids fundraisers or close friends/neighbors kids? My DD was selling cookie dough and a tub of cookies are $15. I know it has to be kinds high for both the company and school to make money but that's expensive considering you can buy a pack of chips ahoy on sale for under $2 or pack of dough for $2 at Walmart. And making your own is even cheaper. Its hard for me to spend that kind of money.

Then you got the world's finest chocolate at $2 a bar or $6 for a Mint meltaways or caramel whirls and other kinds. When you can get very similar candy for much cheaper.

So how do you feel about fundraisers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Replies (21-27):
marlarrie
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

It's too expensive!

periwinkle163
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel like they are a necessary evil.

Red_Kitten
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I would be so much happier to give money straight to the school....I don't particularly like the idea of shelling out extra that won't even go to the school, but rather to the cost of the product I don't even want.  Like a lot of other moms, I buy something so my kids can say they sold something.

Quoting mom2boyz8811:

I buy from my neighbor's kid. Sigh...but my son's school did away with those kinds of fundraisers. They now have a fund that you can donate to and ALL of the money goes to the school. Personally I like those better.

megums
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I don't mind when they do things like "Pretzel Day" or things like that where you can send a few dollars with your child and they get a few nice soft pretzels and the rest of the money goes to the school, but I don't buy from the catalogs and stuff because it's just ridiculous how expensive it is for what is usually just junk.

specialwingz
by Corey on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Nope.  I don't give in to those gimmicks.  The schools get only a small fraction of the $$ they bring in for those fundraiser programs.

When my kids were young, I knew the principal and was involved with the school enough to avoid those types of fundraisers.  We did more onsight type things.  We had yearly carnivals where parents and students volunteered to provide and run the booths.  We had a yearly International Foods Festival where families of all the different cultures/ethnicities in our school (and there were a LOT of different ones!) would make dishes from their country/culture.  OMG!  I had never tasted so many amazing foods in one place before!  It was always the biggest hit of the year.  And, since those were run by the school, students and parents, 100% of the proceeds went to the school.

As for now, I have a no soliciting sign on my door.  I don't answer the door unless it's someone I know and/or am expecting.  My granddaughter's school does the onsight festival type fundraisers, too.  So, no guilt buying there!  LOL.

sakpoints
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Between school and girls scouts I feel like we are always selling something.  I buyfrom my daughter and occasionally from other people, but I do not push anyone to buy from her.  All my friends and co-workers are in the same boat and often times their kids are selling from the same catalog we are.  You are absolutely correct though most of it is overpriced.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I buy as a way to support that organization. It's pretty much a "how much extra do I have?" situation.

Luckily my sons school only does a walk a thon, so there's no crap to peddle to my family. But he's also a boy scout so we'll hit them with popcorn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN