Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

our main pc is broken. any ideas?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM
  • 12 Replies
My 2 yr old dribbled a bit of milk through the top vents of the Pc. Its our main one we are on the most so it has everything on the hard drive. Of course im not planned for this so its not on a cloud drive or Cd.

I dabbed the milk carefully off and am letting the motherboard dry out.

Few questions: is this going to work to fix it? Are there home fixes that I should also try?

Is it worth it to take it to geek squad at best buy or staples? Don't really trust
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Valerie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Ugh to continue don't really trust taking it to a random store front.

Thanks for any insight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM
I have a place that works on my computers. Computer Geeks are a rip off in my opinion. You can read reviews online for computer repair places. Some of those "random store front" places are good. That is how I found my guys....randomly. I reccomend them to everyone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Valerie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Good to hear that. Im sure there are ones that are awesome but he one by my house is also a pawn shop so that worries me a bit. Ill ask around on fb too.

Quoting chinosruca:

I have a place that works on my computers. Computer Geeks are a rip off in my opinion. You can read reviews online for computer repair places. Some of those "random store front" places are good. That is how I found my guys....randomly. I reccomend them to everyone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Your best bet would be to find someone you know who is a computer geek. My dad does computer stuff for a living at one of the refineries down here. I know if my PC crashed he has a way of saving my files. And if one piece of hardware was damaged he could replace it and not have to.buy a new computer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Valerie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Well, somehow its working fine again, I just had to be patient while it dried out completely I guess. 

Of course after I tell DH all my woes and worries about our main PC being dead he turned it on and it worked with no problem.

Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Just for future reference. Usually when things like liquid are spilled on computers it kills the electrical or the motherboard, but not the hard drive. So if worst comes to worse your hard drive can be removed and put in another computer without much hassle. 

matreshka
by Valerie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Good info.  That is what I had hoped.  This pc is old (8yrs) but a very good one, it was my dad's he gave me after he retired.

Quoting Anniea90:

Just for future reference. Usually when things like liquid are spilled on computers it kills the electrical or the motherboard, but not the hard drive. So if worst comes to worse your hard drive can be removed and put in another computer without much hassle. 

Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand. We have an older desktop that I am about to overhaul and set back up. Feel free to PM anytime you have a computer question. I am two weeks away from my I.T. degree, so if I don't know it I am sure I know someone that does :)

Quoting matreshka:

Good info.  That is what I had hoped.  This pc is old (8yrs) but a very good one, it was my dad's he gave me after he retired.

Quoting Anniea90:

spcmom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Congratulations on your degree!!

Quoting Anniea90:

I understand. We have an older desktop that I am about to overhaul and set back up. Feel free to PM anytime you have a computer question. I am two weeks away from my I.T. degree, so if I don't know it I am sure I know someone that does :)

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting Anniea90:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Thank you!

Quoting spcmom:

Congratulations on your degree!!

Quoting Anniea90:

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting Anniea90:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)