Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

We recently got engaged...our wedding date isn't until 5-10-15 so there is plenty of time for planning. This is the 2nd marriage for both of us.Neither of our 1st weddings were anything special, so this one we want to actually celebrate and make everything unique and wonderful.

Between us we have 5 kids, only 4 of them live with us, the oldest is 5. We will be paying for absolutly everything ouselves. The guest list hasn't been thought about much yet but I know that it's  prob under 100 people. We'll both be in our 30s by the time the wedding date comes. My body is difficult so I know the dress needs to either be special made just for me or have a ton of alterations. (I'm 4'9, 34DDD, hourglass figure so thats alterations on length and then whole dress so it fits bust ad rest of me.)

I have no idea what we should try to budget for the wedding or what we can do to save money. so any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated!

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (11-19):
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Hi there!! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I just got married on 8-10-12 and we had about 100 people and I spent about $5,000 on the whole thing. BUT I could've saved even more lol.

Before you do anything, chose your venue. If possible, have it in family members backyard (that's what we did, it was both free and sentimental) or at a park you both love (if weather is predictable enough by you!) and cut down costs dramatically. 'Real' venues charge around $2000 and we didn't wanna pay that.

For a dress, I'd splurge. Honestly. Yes, you will wear it only once and for just a day but its YOUR DAY!! You should feel amazing and beautiufl and all the things you want to feel. That doesn't mean you have to spend thousands, or even hundreds, but make sure you love it and money doesn't drive the purchase.

For food we found a reasonable caterer and I really regret it. The food was AWFUL and for the cost of just the food (so easily half the price), we could have had a family member happily do the cooking. My in laws talked us out of it.

For decor I kept it simple. Some fabric draping and flowers. I got a lot of stuff from Oriental Trading Co, they have good prices, but it adds up fast! Our centerpieces were mason jars with daisies in them, and one single rose. I loved them!

We hired a DJ and again, I really regret it. He was so bad and we could've hooked up an iPod and heard the music we wanted....for free!

Anyway, I had a blast planning my wedding! I hope you do too! If you've any questions feel free to ask! Congrats, again!

shadenn766
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

congrats...

MaskedMomma
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM

congrats on your recent wedding! and thanks for all the ideas!

venue right now it's up between either a park or a small church (he's the one who wants the whole church wedding thing). someones back yard is a good idea though, grandma and grandpa (on his side) live close and they have a beautiful yard. hmmm....maybe the actual wedding in a church to please him and then the reception and all that at a park or grandma and grandpas yard?

food I either want to go all out (steak, baked potatoe bar, ect) or a sunday brunch type of thing. He wants to have it catered by a local pizza joint...who does have good chicken and jo-jos...but he wants to get a bunch of their $3.99 large 1 toppings, and then some of their chicken and jo-jos. no idea what their catering costs would be but ehhh I really don't feel right having freaking pizza (and not even a really good pizza) at our wedding.

Decor I'll be making myself...just havn't decided what yet. I think first I need to decide on the venue to have ideas of what kind of decor I'll need to make.

music we were thinking of prob hiring a dj, well that's more him talking, I'm more along the lines of we can do the same thing on our own with the laptop. If we're going to hire anyone for music it would be a small band, prob country music cause that's his roots lol. I'm afraid to even look into costs of hiring a band though...

What I'm afraid of is all the little details that I know I'll forget about running up the cost and going way over budget.

Also you actually hired some people right...well do you need to give them the money when you hire them or is it like heres a deposit and then on the wedding day is the rest of the money? How much are deposits usually? We are paying for everything ourselves, just got engaged a couple of weeks ago, and havn't started saving yet. Will start saving after new-years, a set amount every month. but we won't have the full amount until a month or two before the wedding. and I know we'll need to buy things before then. I'm just worried about all the little things adding up or us not having all the money saved by the time we need to spend it.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Hi there!! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I just got married on 8-10-12 and we had about 100 people and I spent about $5,000 on the whole thing. BUT I could've saved even more lol.

Before you do anything, chose your venue. If possible, have it in family members backyard (that's what we did, it was both free and sentimental) or at a park you both love (if weather is predictable enough by you!) and cut down costs dramatically. 'Real' venues charge around $2000 and we didn't wanna pay that.

For a dress, I'd splurge. Honestly. Yes, you will wear it only once and for just a day but its YOUR DAY!! You should feel amazing and beautiufl and all the things you want to feel. That doesn't mean you have to spend thousands, or even hundreds, but make sure you love it and money doesn't drive the purchase.

For food we found a reasonable caterer and I really regret it. The food was AWFUL and for the cost of just the food (so easily half the price), we could have had a family member happily do the cooking. My in laws talked us out of it.

For decor I kept it simple. Some fabric draping and flowers. I got a lot of stuff from Oriental Trading Co, they have good prices, but it adds up fast! Our centerpieces were mason jars with daisies in them, and one single rose. I loved them!

We hired a DJ and again, I really regret it. He was so bad and we could've hooked up an iPod and heard the music we wanted....for free!

Anyway, I had a blast planning my wedding! I hope you do too! If you've any questions feel free to ask! Congrats, again!

blondie805
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Look around at some of the fabric stores. Many of them put some of the more unusual colored fabrics on sale particularly clearance sales. Find one that you particularly like and go from there on the colors. You would be surprised at the beautifully colored fabrics that you will find. Once you find a color, the rest is research----EBAY (and always put in "no reserve" and ending within 2 days).

pampire
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

The bids we got were all around $.60 per item.  We ended up being able to buy them for $.10-.20 each.  Since we'd bought the dishes we were able to fix plates for people to take with them.  I have a couple of the plates and every time I pull one out I think "Aw, that's from Annie and Simon's wedding <3."  One of the bride's sister's made really lovely candle lanterns and lighting swags with organza remnants and white Christmas lights.

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

You have so much time to save.  Right now that would be my main focus is saving the money and then planning as I get closer.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Quoting MaskedMomma:

congrats on your recent wedding! and thanks for all the ideas!

venue right now it's up between either a park or a small church (he's the one who wants the whole church wedding thing). someones back yard is a good idea though, grandma and grandpa (on his side) live close and they have a beautiful yard. hmmm....maybe the actual wedding in a church to please him and then the reception and all that at a park or grandma and grandpas yard?

Both great, and cost effective ideas!!

food I either want to go all out (steak, baked potatoe bar, ect) or a sunday brunch type of thing. He wants to have it catered by a local pizza joint...who does have good chicken and jo-jos...but he wants to get a bunch of their $3.99 large 1 toppings, and then some of their chicken and jo-jos. no idea what their catering costs would be but ehhh I really don't feel right having freaking pizza (and not even a really good pizza) at our wedding.

Make sure you taste test your catering place. I didn't, the place we chose had good reviews but they didn't offer tasting. It was so bland. Typical wedding food...pasta and meatballs, baked chicken, etc. But all very plain, I could've cooked better.

Decor I'll be making myself...just havn't decided what yet. I think first I need to decide on the venue to have ideas of what kind of decor I'll need to make. \

Definitely choose a venue before you do much of anything else. A LOT depends on your venue. What type of dress, decor, the kind of ceremony you'll have. It all starts to come together once you see the place. You can visualize things and get inspiration. Check out pinterest!!! Its where I got a lot of ideas and color schemes

music we were thinking of prob hiring a dj, well that's more him talking, I'm more along the lines of we can do the same thing on our own with the laptop. If we're going to hire anyone for music it would be a small band, prob country music cause that's his roots lol. I'm afraid to even look into costs of hiring a band though...

Bands can run up to $1,000 and more. We really wanted a band, but couldn't afford one. Wedding bands charge so much because usually they have to learn a bunch of songs, the songs you want played while you walk down the aisle, first dance and all that jazz. Its expensive but if its important to you, go for it!! Don't settle, just shop around and interview a lot. You can find someone to fit your style and budget. I only had three months to plan mine lol

What I'm afraid of is all the little details that I know I'll forget about running up the cost and going way over budget.

Little details I forgot about.....parting gifts for the guests (I've always thought it was stupid that its common to give your guests something to take home...).but most weddings have a party favor. We went with buttercream mints in little boxes that said 'thanks for sharing our special day!'. They were cute. If you do favors, I'd make sure they're edible. Most people don't harbor sentimental value over your wedding and hold onto coasters with your pictures on it lol. Gifts for our bridal party is another thing. Men's Wearhouse has some GREAT prices on personalized gifts, much cheaper than Things Remembered, and after spending so much you get a free gift.

Flowers can be bought in bulk from BJs.com. I thought they had great prices! Just be sure to order in advance. I made that mistake and they wouldn't budge. You want your flowers to arrive about 3 days before your wedding and keep them in a fridge once you've assembled bouquets and such.

Also you actually hired some people right...well do you need to give them the money when you hire them or is it like heres a deposit and then on the wedding day is the rest of the money? How much are deposits usually? We are paying for everything ourselves, just got engaged a couple of weeks ago, and havn't started saving yet. Will start saving after new-years, a set amount every month. but we won't have the full amount until a month or two before the wedding. and I know we'll need to buy things before then. I'm just worried about all the little things adding up or us not having all the money saved by the time we need to spend it.

The deposits varied depending on the place. Our DJ only charged $250 total (but he wasn't worth a dime!) and the deposit was $100. The food had to be paid in full when we ordered. BJ's didn't workout for me, I had to hire a florist who seriously worked with our budget in a way that would have killed his business if people knew, and it had to be paid in full when I ordered. Next spring and midsummer, check the craft stores by you for clearanced wedding stuff. I got our invites for $7 a box of 25. By then you'll have an idea of your colors and all that. You can get flower girl baskets, guest books, all kinds of stuff for cheap.

I'd focus on your venue first. Secure that and get your dress. Then your accessories (shoes, veil, tiara if you want one, etc). The rest starts to fall into place after that and you'll know what comes next.

Oh! And for buying my dress at Davids Bridal, I got a free shutterfly photo book which we used to create a guest book. We got lots of compliments on it! We put pictures of our journey as a couple up until now in it and it was really neat! But fair warning, Davids Bridal SUCKS. Their customer service in their store is awful. I called them the Walmart of bridal shopping. But its really the only place I had to chose from! If you can shop around for a dress that suits you better, by all means, do it!!! 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

chrissysnow22
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:32 AM
Research research research

Most times something says wedding cost more than the thing without.

Look for a dress on Craigslist, stores where you get prom dresses. If you get it after prom season you are more likely to get it on sale. You should also look into places like David's bridal where when you buy they give you coupons for other wedding items and on tuxedos at men's warehouse.

First you need to know what you want then you will better be able to determine a good budget.

A lot also depends on your venue some places only include the room, some have food and decor included. Some require additional permits.
Here comes the guide is a good comparison book to find event venues.

If you have any questions ask away. There are some pretty knowledgable ladies in here.

Oh and my wedding was $10,000 for 300 guests
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:18 AM
Oh oriental trading co has great wedding decor for low prices.
Theknot.com has awesome ideas for weddings
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)