Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What Projects Should Never Be DIY?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 21 Replies

What Projects Should Never Be DIY?

Brain surgery. That's one job you probably shouldn't DIY. But it's not the only job. Some fixer-uppers in your home really do require expert help. Others are too costly to muck up. The DIY experts at Stack Exchange provide a list of home projects you should never DIY.

Illustration by Sean Gallagher.

Question:

What are the most common DIY projects that you should not do yourself? What must be hired out?

Originally asked by Jay Bazuzi

Answer: Domestic Gas Piping

Seems like it's trivial to connect a stove to the pipeline in an apartment—buy a pipe and two thunks, play with a wrench—what could be easier?

Then you overtighten or undertighten some nut or use a wrong type of thunk and you've got a gas leak and possibly a devastating explosion. Saved 30 to 100 bucks but destroyed your own and others' property and possibly killed and injured people. Bad Idea.

Answered by sharptooth

Answer: Garage Doors

This reminds me of this question. Garage doors. The tension stored in those springs is pretty dangerous. Make a wrong move while tensioning the springs and it could take your arm off.

Answered by Eric Petroelje

Answer: No-Fun Projects

You should never do the stuff that's not fun to do. It took me a while to learn this, but unless you truly love hanging sheetrock, for instance, assume a pro will get that portion of your project done 10x faster than you ever would. That's well worth the money, IMHO.

I put roofing on that list. It's certainly a DIYable task, but a pro roofing team can redo your roof in one day. That's a good thing.

Answered by DA01

Answer: Bricklaying & Plastering

My very handy father completely rebuilt a house, doing absolutely everything himself or with family assistance (I recall tiling a roof) except for a couple of large repetitive do-it-right-first-time jobs which he could do himself but he knew an experienced professional team would get done much better and much faster: bricklaying and plastering.

Answered by Mark Roberts

Answer: HVAC Work

Particularly the internals of the system. A heat pump is one of the most complicated pieces of equipment in a modern home. And there's plenty of warranty issues involved if you are not an authorized reseller.

Answered by msemack

Answer: Refinishing a Bathtub (In Place)

"It's just body work—I've done this a dozen times." Incredibly messy, hard to clean up, a ton of cramped work, and even with good ventilation—just an awful job. I saved my mom a few bucks, but never again.

On the other hand, I did try one of these paints on a bathtub I want to replace. It's been a year, still looks good. Gets horrible reviews though—I may have been lucky or used a different brand.

Answered by Steve Jackson

Answer: Know What Can Go Wrong

Homeowners should never do anything where they cannot list 3-5 ways in which it could go wrong.

Answered by Eric Gunnerson

Answer: When in Doubt, Ask an Expert

I'm a general contractor, and I make a living of correcting problems created by home owners trying to save a buck or two. Reading and researching online is great, but no substitute for experience and the proper tools for the job. The cost of fixing a botched job is always more than doing it right the first time, not to mention the agravation and possible safety hazards created. WHEN IN DOUBT CALL A PROFESSIONAL, or become good friends with a competent general contractor and ask for advice like my family and friends do all the time!

Answered by shirlock homes

Need help on a project? Check out Lifehacker's list of "Don't Do It Yourself" resources here.

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadenn766
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

messing with gas pipes for sure...

BraydensMama163
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Anything that requires my husbands assistance lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM
6 moms liked this

Asbestos removal

shadenn766
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM

lol

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Anything that requires my husbands assistance lol

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't do home projects myself. Ever. Lol.

I'm reeeeealllllllllly bad.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Same. My extent of DIY is painting :)

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I don't do home projects myself. Ever. Lol.

I'm reeeeealllllllllly bad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
partyof54me
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Anything that has to do with plumbing.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Electrical- if it is more in-depth than me taking an outlet cover off, I'll call somebody. I don't mess around with electrical stuff, I've been lightly electrocuted twice in my life, don't need to do it again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol at the don't do it if it isn't fun. My house wasn't fun, but had to be done. We did more sheetrock then I ever wanted, but it was necessary. We saved over $6k doing it ourselves. Not like a $100 savings, several thousand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Ouch!  I have to agree not to do electrical work DIY.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Electrical- if it is more in-depth than me taking an outlet cover off, I'll call somebody. I don't mess around with electrical stuff, I've been lightly electrocuted twice in my life, don't need to do it again

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)