Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Cloth diapers vs disposable diapers?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am trying to figure out if I should switch to cloth diapers or not? My son is 10.5 months old but we are planning to have more children soon.  I can usually get diapers for .16 cents per diaper and have found .13 cents with some coupons.  I know it is a lot of money to buy all of the diapers for cloth, then you need special soap and need to use hot water so is there a big savings? Help!! I love all of the advice on this forum it has helped me a lot especially when I am trying to stretch a penny three ways!! It is nice to know others are feeling the pinch as well and it is not just me. Thanks in advance for the advice!!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Replies (31-34):
Heather112611
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Quoting natalias925:

So if you are paying .15 a diaper and pay about 15 bucks per cloth (what I payed) use the cloth about 100 times and you will have gotten your monies worth. Sounds like a lot, but at 8 diapers a day that's about 12.5 days. Use them for a year that's 436 bucks in dispo. Vs 135 for 8 cloth diapers and a tub of Charlie's soap.
So barring the exception of possibly paying more for water bill that's a couple hundred in saving.

Thank you so much for breaking it down for me!Where is the best place to buy the fuzzy ones? Are their special inserts or just the prefolds? Thank you again!!!

emmy526
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM

special soap?  i just used ALL free n clear  and added bleach and fabric softener...i loved using cloth, as i didn't have to fear running outta disposables and not having money to buy more. 

natalias925
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I used multiple means....lol..

I used one of those sites like Plumdistrict, or eco mom.  First I bought a 50% off coupon (pay $15 for $30 to spend at) then I waited on it for the fuzzy buns, then the diapers were like 2 for 35 or something, so I used the $30 coupon and got them for a great price.  Poke around on the discount sites... I got the ones with little sayings on the butt like "Does this diaper make my butt look big"

A lot of people dilike these diapers because they say it will give girls a complex about having a big butt at an early age.....

IMHO If your baby is old enough to read the saying on her clothingg she shouldnt be in diapers.

evansmommy03
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I do cloth and it saved us a ton of money and problems.  My daughter is allergic to all the chemicals in the disposables and would get awful rashes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)