Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner is getting harder to make!

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 14 Replies
We get paid friday, we can make it! But yeesh, I'm getting creative with dinner. Tomorrow night is chicken, rice (bleh) and some veggies, friday is roast beef and hopefully DH can get a ride to work so I can go grocery shopping and we can have potatoes once again, if not, Mac and cheese. But tonite dinner turned out good. I made veggie soup, threw in tiny meatballsand dumplings. It was a success thankfully. Used up a box of no knead bread. It was rather pitiful. Back to homemade rolls.

Now DH is in the kitchen making bread. We have no milk, and no eggs, so I don't know how that's going to turn out. Oh, and no butter.

I'm putting together my grocery list, and realized I need to get more than 2 dozen eggs, 2 packs of butter and 2gallons of milk like usual. My grocery cart is going to be overflowing.

Now I have to figure out how to make my chicken tomorrow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

When I make chicken and rice I usually pan sear the chicken and toss it in the rice. In small bite size chunks.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Another chicken recipe is to mix equal parts mayo and sour cream. Coat the chicken in it and roll it in bread crumbs. Then I drizzle melted butter over it (you can omit if you don't have any) and bake until  done.

campingmomof4
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

This is why I meal plan and usually have everything I need for the 2 or 3 weeks between grocery shopping.   I always add stuff on my list when I open something.   For example  I open up the bottle of ketcup from the cupboard.  I put it on my list for the next shopping.  I always keep 1 package of extra butter in the frig.  I always have a jar of spaghetti sauce and pasta in the panty.  

Good luck.  I hope you get get something good made with the chicken.

lyngerdam
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

You can also freeze butter - when it's on sale.

mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM

We just went through a creative cubbord cleanout last week! We buy 3 or 4  butters at a time & freeze all but 1. We actually freeze nearly everything. lol I'm thinking of making chicken noodle soup  soon because it's getting cold &  it's super easy. & cheap  lol .

SandraJo
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I do freeze my extra butter. But I'm still learning all the tores around here and have not seen it on sale anywhere either in stores or in ads. There aren't even sales on milk around here. Sigh....

At least meat is really cheap at our commissary :)

Quoting lyngerdam:

You can also freeze butter - when it's on sale.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandraJo
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM
I'm learning to meal plan. I'm just vastly underestimating how much milk eggs and butter we go through. However, I still have flour, sugar, Brown sugar, other baking stuff etc...frozen veggies, meats. I've scoured this week's ads and nobody has a sale on potatoes :( we eat potatoes almost every night. I'll get better at my menu and grocery planning.

Quoting campingmomof4:

This is why I meal plan and usually have everything I need for the 2 or 3 weeks between grocery shopping.   I always add stuff on my list when I open something.   For example  I open up the bottle of ketcup from the cupboard.  I put it on my list for the next shopping.  I always keep 1 package of extra butter in the frig.  I always have a jar of spaghetti sauce and pasta in the panty.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
campingmomof4
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Great it takes time.   I mess up myself sometimes.  I have been cooking for along time.  My 4 kids are all adults now.   I am still getting use to cooking for 2 instead of 6 or 8.  

Quoting SandraJo:

I'm learning to meal plan. I'm just vastly underestimating how much milk eggs and butter we go through. However, I still have flour, sugar, Brown sugar, other baking stuff etc...frozen veggies, meats. I've scoured this week's ads and nobody has a sale on potatoes :( we eat potatoes almost every night. I'll get better at my menu and grocery planning.

Quoting campingmomof4:

Dabberdoo
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I have a good bread recipe with no eggs and no milk.  It does call for butter.  

Pickings are slim here, too, right now.  I was making a chicken/potato soup tonight and was done except for thickening when I added the pepper.  I use a pepper grinder and the lid fell off and all the peppercorn dumped in my soup.  Completely ruined.  There was just way too much in there to salvage anything.  So I made some tuna salad for sandwiches for the kids but my husband and I still haven't eaten.  Gotta figure out something.  Probablly PB&J.

SandraJo
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Oh no! That has to suck!

I don't know what recipe my husband used for bread, but it turned out good.

Ok, have my.menu planned until next payday, and hopefully it all works out. I'm trying out leftovers recipes too.

Oh, tonite chicken was a success. I found a bottle of balsamic vinaigrette in the fridge and dumped that on top and threw it in the oven.

Quoting Dabberdoo:

I have a good bread recipe with no eggs and no milk.  It does call for butter.  

Pickings are slim here, too, right now.  I was making a chicken/potato soup tonight and was done except for thickening when I added the pepper.  I use a pepper grinder and the lid fell off and all the peppercorn dumped in my soup.  Completely ruined.  There was just way too much in there to salvage anything.  So I made some tuna salad for sandwiches for the kids but my husband and I still haven't eaten.  Gotta figure out something.  Probablly PB&J.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)