Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Spaghetti Squash Nests with Meatball Eggs

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM
  • 6 Replies

These are a cute idea

1a balls 1024x688 Spaghetti Squash Nests with Meatball Eggs

Spaghetti Squash Nests with Meatball Eggs Recipe Adapted from CWMK baked zucchini fritters

Left over base of baked spaghetti squash (3 cups cooked spaghetti squash, forked; 1 raw zucchini, grated; 1/4 cup red onion, cooked until soft, 1 tsp crushed garlic)

2 eggs

1/2 cup while wheat flour

1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese plus more for sprinkling

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

fresh ground pepper

Your favorite marinara sauce (we like Rao’s)

Home made or pre-made meatballs (we used Trader Joe’s chicken meatballs)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Drain the squash in a colander. Combine the spaghetti squash, zucchini, red onion, crushed garlic, and whisked eggs. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients, then stir into the squash until combined. If it’s too dry add more flour and or parmesan. Generously spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and spoon in some of the mixture, use a spoon to push it up along the sides to create a well in the center. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a butter knife to gently slice around the edge of each cup to loosen it from the pan. Place upside down on a cookie sheet and cook for another 5 minutes to crisp up the bottom. Heat the sauce and meatballs. Remove the cups from the oven and spoon some sauce into each one and top with a meatball and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Makes about 20 nests.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
crysangel25
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Those look yummy!! I have been looking for a good recipe to try with the spaghetti squash I bought recently. Thanks!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM
Sounded good until I got to the flour. :( I wonder if there's a substitute...
a_and_j_momma
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Quoting michiganmom116:

It is just to make it stick together so I am sure you can. Do you make meatloaf? What do you put in that to make it stick? I am sure you can throw whatever that is in there

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Quoting michiganmom116:

It is just to make it stick together so I am sure you can. Do you make meatloaf? What do you put in that to make it stick? I am sure you can throw whatever that is in there

Meatloaf sticks together on it's own with the help of an egg or two for every 3 lb. of ground meat.  It needs no fillers. 

I may try it with just one egg instead of two.  I've been toying with the idea of using spaghetti squash (plus an egg) for pizza crusts, too.

Rhonda

a_and_j_momma
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Quoting michiganmom116:

Have you ever made the cauliflower pizza crust? It sticks well together and I use only one egg. Let me know if it works the same for spaghetti squash if you try it before I do w o flour ;-)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Have you ever made the cauliflower pizza crust? It sticks well together and I use only one egg. Let me know if it works the same for spaghetti squash if you try it before I do w o flour ;-)

I haven't yet.  It would have to be for only myself...my family drew the line at using veggies as a sub in their pizza crust so I've been making almond flour crust, and they're okay with that.

Rhonda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)