Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I dreamed this recipe up to use up some over ripe bananas I had in the freezer.  It's kind of the combo of a couple different recipes.  I bake once a month for the Southside Meal Program. Our church gets 4th Friday of the month. I will bake throughout the month. Then freeze my stuff.  Pull it out the night before someone stops over to pick it up.  This is a good way to use up them very ripe bananas.   Nuts are optional in this recipe. I didn't use any.  The breads freeze well.  Something good and healthy to serve for breakfast or a snack.  It don't cost much to make.   Because this recipe uses oil instead of butter.  It cut the cost down.  Butter is way to high these days.  But I suppose you could use melted real butter or margarine in the same quanity the recipe says.  In place of the oil.  

Banana Bread

2 cups flour

2 eggs

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

3 over ripe bananas

Mix bananas, eggs, oil and sugar together real good.  Add the salt, and baking powder to the flour.  Mix it well.  Add your dry ingredients to the wet.  Mix till thoroughly mixed.  Divide between 2 loaf pans.  Bake at 325 degrees one hour. 

Here's the recipe for 8 loaves of bread

8  cups flour

8 eggs

8 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 cup vegetable oil

12 over ripe bananas

1 bag of brown sugar

1 tbsp cinnamon.

Divide between 8 pans.  Follow above directions to make batter.  I used 8 of them tin foil pans from the store.   This big recipe is going to our church to feed the poor.  On our Friday of the month to put up the meal.   I happened to get a pile of over ripe bananas from the produce market.  I peeled the peel off. Put them in a big zip lock bag.  Then froze them. I thawed them out.  They were just the right mushy to make bread with.  The original recipe said 2 cups of regular granulated sugar. Then optional was 1 tsp vanilla.   I thought that would make it to sweet.  So I figured how about 1 cup brown sugar.  Skip the vanilla.   Put a little cinnamon instead.  Another banana bread recipe listed cinnamon.   My bread came out real good. It's cooling on the table.  When cooled real well.  I will slice. Then box it up. With plastic wrap between the layers of bread slices. Will put in my upright freezer till it's time to take it to church.   

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Replies (11-13):
shadenn766
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM

i love banana bread, banana cake, banana pudding, and banana cream pie...lol...thanks for sharing the recipe:)

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I don't know about in a bread maker. Never tried that.  I always do it in the oven. I have a convection oven. So I can bake on both racks at the same time.  Since the fan circulates the heat.  That oven of mine was only 50$ more for the convection oven.  I figured when we got it. We needed a new stove.  I wanted something that will last a good number of years.  This one has been worth the money.

Quoting BeachLifeMama:

Perfect been dying to make banana bread. Will I be able to use this recipe for my breadmaker cause my oven is not working.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Awww...I just used up my bananas yesterday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)