Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

New show on TLC. Extreme Cheapskates

Posted by   + Show Post

Some time back they had the 1 hour show of Extreme Cheapskates.   These were the most extreme cheapskates around. I remember the woman who made her own reusable toilet paper.  That she washed like cloth diapers.The guy who came home with 2 goat heads for dinner.       It turned into a series that started this Tuesday.  I watched.  I couldn't believe some of the cheap skates.  I am frugal. But not like them on the show.  A woman dumpster dived at a restaurant I think it was.  For food she took home to eat.   The guy who flushed his toilet only once a week.  He shower with his clothes on.  That was his way to wash his clothes. Instead of the washer and dryer. 

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Replies (51-60):
702girly
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I don't think most of those people are frugal or cheapskates. I think they're mentally ill.

carterscutie85
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, but there are so many sue happy people out there companies have to take these measures in order to avoid being sued.

We do take *Nearly* expired food (Like it expires in a few days or a week) and donate it, but if it's past the expiration date we have to destroy it. Only in America can you sue a company because you got sick after you ate outdated food you found in a dumpster LOL.

Quoting simple_ole_me:

Any homeless person on the street would be happy to have that food. I would say the majority of people out there know expiration dates don't mean much. I often eat food past the expiration date. I understand the liability on the company's part, but it's very disturbing to me that there are so many hungry people in this country and so many greedy companies. I've seen it first hand too. Panera Bread will throw out their uneaten bread at night -- I'm talking clear garbage bag fulls of freshly baked (less than 24 hours) loaves of bread. One minute, it's on their counter - -the next, it's in the dumpster. There is absolutely no justification to that. NONE. They could easily donate that bread to local homeless shelters ... and actually someone told me that Panera Bread claimed they do just that. I'm here to tell you, it's absolutely false. Here's another fabulous company for you too -- JCPenny. They will throw out "flawed" clothes and such in their dumpster, but not without destroying them first. I've often found cut up clothes and shoes in their dumpster -- either cut up or spray painted on or some other way destroyed. And again, there's no justifying that when there are so many in need. I could go on and on ... but I'll stop. This is America, where greed and materialism run rampant. Sadly, I don't think anything will ever change.

Quoting carterscutie85:

702girly
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

Did you see the guy who took his family of 6 to a chinese buffet and only bought 3 plates?

He got away with that? Every chinese buffet I've ever been to would tell him to get the fuck out for even trying that bullshit.

simple_ole_me
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, it was quoted not too long ago that, all together, Americans produce approximately 1.35 billion pounds of trash a DAY. Composting, recycling, buying less -- it's smart. I wish more people would do what this lady does.

Quoting myname27:

this one lady on tv did not allow garbage in her house. in 6 months, she could fit ALL the garbage her and her family used in her palm. I mean, how is that possible and with kids? She said she did not buy anything that had to be thrown away. things like egg shells, and banana peels she threw in her garden or lawn but they did not have ANY garbage literally

simple_ole_me
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM
4 moms liked this

I often shop at a local discount grocery store. Most things are either dented or expired. I've been doing this for years and have never gotten sick from anything. What I don't understand is how these scratch and dent stores can sell expired food, but if it's at a regular supermarket -- they can't. Can't they have an area with expired goods with a stamp of some sort on it saying it is indeed expired and "eat at your own risk". That's basically the kind of wording you get at discount grocers. Or if they don't want to do that -- send your stuff to those scratch and dent stores, NOT the dumpster! And don't even get me going on "less than desirable" produce that gets thrown out daily. I actually blame that more on the people than the companies. Farmers throw out close to 34 million tons of produce each year because they know consumers won't buy it. What does that say about the people? Seriously ... only in America! And you're absolutely right -- too many sue happy people in this country as well. That's another pet peeve of mine. I'll save it for another day :)

Quoting carterscutie85:

I agree, but there are so many sue happy people out there companies have to take these measures in order to avoid being sued.

We do take *Nearly* expired food (Like it expires in a few days or a week) and donate it, but if it's past the expiration date we have to destroy it. Only in America can you sue a company because you got sick after you ate outdated food you found in a dumpster LOL.

Quoting simple_ole_me:

Any homeless person on the street would be happy to have that food. I would say the majority of people out there know expiration dates don't mean much. I often eat food past the expiration date. I understand the liability on the company's part, but it's very disturbing to me that there are so many hungry people in this country and so many greedy companies. I've seen it first hand too. Panera Bread will throw out their uneaten bread at night -- I'm talking clear garbage bag fulls of freshly baked (less than 24 hours) loaves of bread. One minute, it's on their counter - -the next, it's in the dumpster. There is absolutely no justification to that. NONE. They could easily donate that bread to local homeless shelters ... and actually someone told me that Panera Bread claimed they do just that. I'm here to tell you, it's absolutely false. Here's another fabulous company for you too -- JCPenny. They will throw out "flawed" clothes and such in their dumpster, but not without destroying them first. I've often found cut up clothes and shoes in their dumpster -- either cut up or spray painted on or some other way destroyed. And again, there's no justifying that when there are so many in need. I could go on and on ... but I'll stop. This is America, where greed and materialism run rampant. Sadly, I don't think anything will ever change.

Quoting carterscutie85:

GirlWithANikon
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM

All of that stuff is really nasty. I feel like this is the new hoarders or something. People become obsessed with saving and couponing and being frugal and it becomes a NEED not a sane desire to help your finances. I feel like if they had all the money and no need to save in the world they would still dumpster dive for food because they simply have too, they are obsessed. Also it becomes a dang war. Do you know I have seen fights break out over coupons? Like physical fights between women. Also catty oh looook how much i saved, you didn't even get that on sale did you?

I think being frugal is great, but as with everything in life there has got to be boundaries.

simple_ole_me
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm frugal .... even to an extreme in some people's eyes, but this crosses a serious moral line with me. This is right on par with stealing in my book.

And even if this was somehow acceptable, it's not even frugal. Everyone knows extremely frugal folks don't buy new clothing!

Quoting Oceana09:

I think I saw something like that, but it wasn't the show. I think they had a couple people on a talk show. Wasn't there a guy that saved money on clothes by buying one item, saving the receipt, keeping the tag on it, and then after wearing it once returns it to the store for something knew? I could be wrong, but I think there was a guy that did that.

LavenderHeather
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM
I remember the extreme frugal guy I saw on tv. He didn't dumpster dive tho! He wld dry his hands on paper towels that he wld hang up to dry, then reuse, he bought 2-ply tp that he wld split apart to make 2 rolls, he wld also go to the restraunts to get his plastic silverware, napkins, condiments, etc :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TLIF1281
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I think I will stick to the extreme couponing thanx. I don't want to dumpster dive for my food. Oh and I also don't dumpster dive for my coupons. I get the paper and get extras from others. 

Mudfishzgirl
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I wanted to watch it and then forgot and naturally it isn't on my on demand

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)