Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New show on TLC. Extreme Cheapskates

Posted by   + Show Post

Some time back they had the 1 hour show of Extreme Cheapskates.   These were the most extreme cheapskates around. I remember the woman who made her own reusable toilet paper.  That she washed like cloth diapers.The guy who came home with 2 goat heads for dinner.       It turned into a series that started this Tuesday.  I watched.  I couldn't believe some of the cheap skates.  I am frugal. But not like them on the show.  A woman dumpster dived at a restaurant I think it was.  For food she took home to eat.   The guy who flushed his toilet only once a week.  He shower with his clothes on.  That was his way to wash his clothes. Instead of the washer and dryer. 

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Replies (181-190):
sarlove01
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
We are conservative with water usage... But i think of we paid for it, id be more concerned....not cheap. Just honest. Thanks for you snarky reply though. Lol!

Quoting demonica29:

Quoting sarlove01:

I do what i can and go green as much as possible without being unsanitary.we dont pay for our water but if I did I would cut downon showers maybe or wash clothes in a bin to save on energy from the washer dryer...i line dry alot...use baking soda for a ton of cleaning and even toothpaste amd deoderant...use cloth diapers, use coupons and search for deals...i have a small stockpile so i dont buy personal items alot, i use the crock.pot in summer and oven in winter...we all wear our pants a few times before washing, we walk places instead of drive, keep the tank half full, and i am starting a garden in back...but most of that stuff sounds.unsanitary or unhealthy. Blech. O mean instead of showering with your clothes on you could just plug the tub and use whatever you use to take a shower to clean clothes then just rinse... it's called using your grey water... its also good for watering plants or washing the patio or the car, well maybe not sjower water bit old laundry water or w/e.. I have friends that live in Nigeria and had to do something similar because they depend on the rain water

You're not green if you don't save water because you don't pay for it. You're just cheap.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LaDonna_d
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Genuinesweetie:

Omg....thats crazy! Reusable toilet paper....really? Why? That is beyond gross!

And the difference between "reusable toilet paper" and cloth diapers is,,,?
FYI: the USA alone uses over 7,000,000,000 rolls A YEAR! I don't do this to be frugal, but to help conserve just one finite resources that our gluttonous ways don't seem to take into consideration.
a_and_j_momma
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Too overboard for me
sarlove01
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

its called bleach. you know like washing and sanitizing...so how is it gross?

Quoting LaDonna_d:

Quoting Genuinesweetie:

Omg....thats crazy! Reusable toilet paper....really? Why? That is beyond gross!

And the difference between "reusable toilet paper" and cloth diapers is,,,?
FYI: the USA alone uses over 7,000,000,000 rolls A YEAR! I don't do this to be frugal, but to help conserve just one finite resources that our gluttonous ways don't seem to take into consideration.

jdsmell7
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 7:51 AM

This show is about people with mental issues ! LOL Its one thing to be frugal-- but this extreme is pararell to OCD & hoarding behaviors !!

Genuinesweetie
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I NEVER used cloth diapers on my babies because I find that gross to. So to me there is no difference they are both gross...just my opionion, though. If you can tolerate it more power to you but for me, no way.

happy halloween

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Some of that was to disgusting. Probably staged for $$$
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
julesbouge
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 8:19 AM

My grandma does the same thing with wrapping paper.  She doesn't keep newspaper, but she keeps containers....she has been mad for 3 years now because the woman that comes twice a week to help her threw away her old cottage cheese container.  My grandma can't use the depression as her excuse though.  Her parents had oil money and had servants during the depression.  But yes....she is full of wisdom and a GIANT heart.  If environmentalists wanted to know a better way to be green they should study my grandma!

plingebaby
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM

to me frugal is getting generic bread-like the store's brand, but i would never go in someone else's trash unless it was a severe matterf life and death. And about the guy that doesnt flush more than once a week- goodjob on being more "earth friendly" and all but in all seriousness, I hope you have stock in the toilet plunging industry.....you'll be their one man rise in income.

matreshka
by Valerie on Oct. 24, 2012 at 7:26 AM

I remember it a while ago and the cheapskate wedding anniversary episode had me laughing.  I'll have to see if any episodes are on demand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)