Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Nooo not good.

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM
  • 34 Replies
Hostess is going out of business. No more twinkies or orange cupcakes or zingers. Ok I don't normally buy them cuz they are
Expensive but i occasionally get them as a treat when they go on sale. this is sad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I'm outta the loop.  Why are they going out of business?

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Im guessing not making money. My local news said on fb that they announced they will file for liquidation.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm outta the loop.  Why are they going out of business?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I was just reading about it.  Their employees were on strike and Hostess was already in financial trouble.  They warned the employees that if they didn't return to work then they wouldn't be able to keep their doors open, and the strike continuted.  It killed any hope of keeping the company going.  They closed their doors and will be liquidating their assets.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
So why were the employees on strike? If the company treated them like i was treated at Pilot and so many other companies are doing than i don't blame the employees but now they are out of a job. These companies are paying way too much money to the top people and charge high prices for their cakes. Pilot sold them for almost $2 a pack. Ridiculous

Quoting michiganmom116:

I was just reading about it.  Their employees were on strike and Hostess was already in financial trouble.  They warned the employees that if they didn't return to work then they wouldn't be able to keep their doors open, and the strike continuted.  It killed any hope of keeping the company going.  They closed their doors and will be liquidating their assets.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM

They went on strike over wage and benefits cuts.  Hostess had to do something -- they had already filed for bankruptcy in January and when a company does that and intends to stay open, they have to show a plan for change, just like the automakers did.  Employee wage and benefit cuts were part of the plan; in fact, it looks like it was a major part of the plan.  I understand why they would strike, but now they're out of a job at what is possibly the worst time of the year.  I wish the 18,000+ employees luck.

I'm going to see this from a different POV than most because I'm trained in management.  It makes for an interesting household because my DH is a UAW member.  They've taken pay cuts/benefit cuts during contract talks four years ago, just like the Hostess employees were asked to do this time, but the UAW members approved it because they wanted to keep their jobs. 

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

So why were the employees on strike? If the company treated them like i was treated at Pilot and so many other companies are doing than i don't blame the employees but now they are out of a job. These companies are paying way too much money to the top people and charge high prices for their cakes. Pilot sold them for almost $2 a pack. Ridiculous

Quoting michiganmom116:

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:24 AM
My stepdad works for them. I just asked my mom what's happening with that. This could be really bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Thanks for pointing this view out. It's so important to see things from all perspectives.

I was recently laid off (still waiting for unemployment to kick in) due to "financial issues"...was interesting to hear that they hired 2 new attorneys and were replacing computers in the weeks since...at first I understood about "finances", now I'm just a tad over "that's not cool".

Quoting michiganmom116:

They went on strike over wage and benefits cuts.  Hostess had to do something -- they had already filed for bankruptcy in January and when a company does that and intends to stay open, they have to show a plan for change, just like the automakers did.  Employee wage and benefit cuts were part of the plan; in fact, it looks like it was a major part of the plan.  I understand why they would strike, but now they're out of a job at what is possibly the worst time of the year.  I wish the 18,000+ employees luck.

I'm going to see this from a different POV than most because I'm trained in management.  It makes for an interesting household because my DH is a UAW member.  They've taken pay cuts/benefit cuts during contract talks four years ago, just like the Hostess employees were asked to do this time, but the UAW members approved it because they wanted to keep their jobs. 

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Well i understand that but its hard all around.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Quoting michiganmom116:

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM
So my step dad is losing his job. His department accepted the pay cut but the bakery refused. So now they are all losing their jobs, benefits and everything else. My mom works full time and will make less money bc she now has to put everyone on her insurance. So yeah...it's REALLY bad for my family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sonata8
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I've never had anything by hostess.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN