Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

So annoyed with our bed. It broke and it's a Sleep Number

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM
  • 15 Replies

In 2006 we needed a new mattress for our bed.   Ok I figured if we're spending.  I'm getting something good.  Something that will hopefully last a lot of years.  I have no problem spending good money.  If I get something good quality and all that.   We stopped in the Sleep Number store at the mall.  Dh fell in love with the bed. Me was ok with it.   I didn't love or hate it.   It felt comfortable enough for me to sleep on.  Each side had its own bladder and controller.  So we each could have our side as firm or soft as we liked it.   I liked that in the bed.  Well the bed is 6yrs old.  Some months back the connector that hooks the hose on the pump to the bed broke off on my side.  I rig it up to use it.  The other day same thing happens to dh's side.  Now I'm furious.  So I call up Sleep Number.   Explain what happened.  Figured the bed is under 20yr warranty.  They tell me the first 2 yrs we get free parts.  After that we pay 40% of the cost.   I ask for new connectors.  Knowing the bladders are fine.  They don't leak.   I am told I need new bladders and connectors.  That the connectors on the bladders should not come off.  I said they came off real easy.  Get told some line of crap how that can't be.  Bla bla bla.   I said so how much are parts.  The woman keeps talking.  Doesn't say price yet.  I said at this point. I'm ready to scrap the Sleep Number and get something else. Mind you the bed.  Which is the mattress you assemble with 2 bladders and the plastic or plastic like box the mattress sits on.  Cost like 1000$ give or take a few dollars with sales tax. The box sits on you bed frame like a regular box spring.   The woman says don't do that.  I said well the bed is broke.  We go around in circles.  Finally get quoted a price of 147$ for 2 new bladders and some connectors.   I said can I go down to the store to pick them up.  No.  They make them to order.  I have to have them shipped to me.  It takes 5-7 days.   Dh says order the new parts.   So I do.  Something tells me the new connectors will fit our current bladders and on the hose.   I might not have to change the bladders.  I will try that first.  As I really don't want to take the whole bed well the mattress apart.  Unless I have to.  Without the proper connectors from the hose on the pump to the bed.  It has a very slow leak.  That is tolerable for me.  Nothing that flattens the mattress out in like an hour or 2.  It takes like 9 hours for that to happen.  And that is not to the even all the way flat.  Just to a level I don't like sleeping on.

After that.  I went online.  Searched Sleep Number Bed reviews.   Oh were there lots of complaints about them beds.  People saying don't buy the bed.  It's no better than a air bed like an Aero bed.  Something said go on the BBB see what they say about Sleep Number.  Lots of complaints there also.   Now I really regret ordering new parts for our bed.   I should of just told dh.  We'll sleep on the bed rigged up to hold air for now.  That yes as the night goes on.  There is a mild leak at the connector.  But it's liveable.  Then saved up for something much much better.   Dh is the one who loves the bed.  Well the idea he can adjust the firmness as he likes it.   Me would of liked to checked out the Temperpedic or a similar to it.   I could use the box from the Sleep Number.   As our box spring.  Just put a different mattress on it.   I ordered my parts on Friday. I hope they come before Thanks Giving.  

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Wow, Thanks for the warning!  We need a new mattress and DH wanted to consider the Sleep Number beds.  No way we'll do it now!

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Yes, thanks for the warning, I have been considering one for when this one goes kaput.

shadenn766
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM

good luck, hope everything works out for you... sorry about all of that

kiske
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM

If you paid for the new bladder already and it comes connected to the parts, I'd be tempted to suck it up and install it all as recommended.  I mean, you don't want to end up with the same problem having the parts leak at the same place.  The lady is probably right and they shouldn't come apart.

Other than that I'll tell you Temperpedic has the same range of complaints.  We have one and I love it.  My DH, however, sinks too far into it and his back aches whenever he sleeps on it.  We now have a regular mattress (which also has many complaints listed against it) and my DD has the Temperpedic.  I think that complaints get registered a lot more often than kudos do.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I guess your right. Install it as directed.  But am saving them old bladders.  I can get caps for them. Blow them up to use as a spare bed or something.  I did see a few good comments on the bed. But mostly bad ones.  I seen half and half on good/bad comments on the Temperpedic.

Quoting kiske:

If you paid for the new bladder already and it comes connected to the parts, I'd be tempted to suck it up and install it all as recommended.  I mean, you don't want to end up with the same problem having the parts leak at the same place.  The lady is probably right and they shouldn't come apart.

Other than that I'll tell you Temperpedic has the same range of complaints.  We have one and I love it.  My DH, however, sinks too far into it and his back aches whenever he sleeps on it.  We now have a regular mattress (which also has many complaints listed against it) and my DD has the Temperpedic.  I think that complaints get registered a lot more often than kudos do.

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Thanks for the warning.  i hope the repair goes well and then you can use it without any problems!

sonogal
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I decided against the sleep number after reading all the complaints.  And a doctor friend hated the Temperpedic.  I just bought a Beautyrest and it is by far the best bed I've ever had.  Not cheap - about 1400 for the king - but very comfortable.  We had a Posturpedic previously and DH hated it - ended up putting it in a guest room.

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Ugh!  That sucks I am sorry, but thanks for sharing.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Wow that sucks!!

a_and_j_momma
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM
How frustrating
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)