Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

So annoyed with our bed. It broke and it's a Sleep Number

Posted by   + Show Post

In 2006 we needed a new mattress for our bed.   Ok I figured if we're spending.  I'm getting something good.  Something that will hopefully last a lot of years.  I have no problem spending good money.  If I get something good quality and all that.   We stopped in the Sleep Number store at the mall.  Dh fell in love with the bed. Me was ok with it.   I didn't love or hate it.   It felt comfortable enough for me to sleep on.  Each side had its own bladder and controller.  So we each could have our side as firm or soft as we liked it.   I liked that in the bed.  Well the bed is 6yrs old.  Some months back the connector that hooks the hose on the pump to the bed broke off on my side.  I rig it up to use it.  The other day same thing happens to dh's side.  Now I'm furious.  So I call up Sleep Number.   Explain what happened.  Figured the bed is under 20yr warranty.  They tell me the first 2 yrs we get free parts.  After that we pay 40% of the cost.   I ask for new connectors.  Knowing the bladders are fine.  They don't leak.   I am told I need new bladders and connectors.  That the connectors on the bladders should not come off.  I said they came off real easy.  Get told some line of crap how that can't be.  Bla bla bla.   I said so how much are parts.  The woman keeps talking.  Doesn't say price yet.  I said at this point. I'm ready to scrap the Sleep Number and get something else. Mind you the bed.  Which is the mattress you assemble with 2 bladders and the plastic or plastic like box the mattress sits on.  Cost like 1000$ give or take a few dollars with sales tax. The box sits on you bed frame like a regular box spring.   The woman says don't do that.  I said well the bed is broke.  We go around in circles.  Finally get quoted a price of 147$ for 2 new bladders and some connectors.   I said can I go down to the store to pick them up.  No.  They make them to order.  I have to have them shipped to me.  It takes 5-7 days.   Dh says order the new parts.   So I do.  Something tells me the new connectors will fit our current bladders and on the hose.   I might not have to change the bladders.  I will try that first.  As I really don't want to take the whole bed well the mattress apart.  Unless I have to.  Without the proper connectors from the hose on the pump to the bed.  It has a very slow leak.  That is tolerable for me.  Nothing that flattens the mattress out in like an hour or 2.  It takes like 9 hours for that to happen.  And that is not to the even all the way flat.  Just to a level I don't like sleeping on.

After that.  I went online.  Searched Sleep Number Bed reviews.   Oh were there lots of complaints about them beds.  People saying don't buy the bed.  It's no better than a air bed like an Aero bed.  Something said go on the BBB see what they say about Sleep Number.  Lots of complaints there also.   Now I really regret ordering new parts for our bed.   I should of just told dh.  We'll sleep on the bed rigged up to hold air for now.  That yes as the night goes on.  There is a mild leak at the connector.  But it's liveable.  Then saved up for something much much better.   Dh is the one who loves the bed.  Well the idea he can adjust the firmness as he likes it.   Me would of liked to checked out the Temperpedic or a similar to it.   I could use the box from the Sleep Number.   As our box spring.  Just put a different mattress on it.   I ordered my parts on Friday. I hope they come before Thanks Giving.  

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Replies (11-15):
midnight_storm
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Dh and I tried out the sleep number in store about 7 yrs. ago and didn't like it. We ended up getting an one of the Ikea foam/spring combo mattress and still love it. We've already decided when we need a new one we'll get the same one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:47 AM
Oh that's is frustrating. In sorry. Hopefully your bed problems are over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:27 AM

What has me. They said  I'd  have my bed parts in 5 days.  That it would ship the day they took my order.  I looked at the tracking.  It says most likely won't get my parts till the 26th by end of the day.  Yes the parts come from Salt Lake City.  All the way to Wisconsin. But you'd think todays shipping can get things to a person faster.  Well maybe that was only a estimated date.  Maybe it will come sooner.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Ugh.  Thanks for the heads up.  We talked about getting a Sleep Number bed next year.  No way now.

dsmills8668
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM
My friend has a sleep number..raved about it. I went over to try it I don't get what's so great.just an air mattress. Thy still love it though. I don't think she's had problems with it yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)