Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

what do you do???????

Posted by   + Show Post

what do you do around the house to save money as off laundry, cleaning, anything? do you moms have any tips of stuff that you do in order to save some cash? any idea, advice would help?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I make my own laundry detergent and do it a lazy way. I bought a big box of borax ($4), a big box of washing soda ($4), dollar general oxy clean ($4), and dawn dish soap which I already use for my dishes anyway ($1.77). In a one gallon jug, I put 3 tbsp washing soda, 3 tbsp borax, 3 tbsp oxy clean, and 3 tbsp dawn dish soap (original only btw). Add a pot of boiling water (make sure you have a funnel and a sturdy container that won't melt from the water). Mix all of that up until everything is dissolved, then add cold water to fill the remainder to cool it off. Shake it a bit, and voila. I use probably a cup per load of laundry.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

chrissysnow22
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:41 AM
I make my own cleaners
Cook from scratch
Unplug anything while not in use.
Turn off any lights that are unnecessary and use windows for lighting.
Don't turn on the heater, dress warmer.

Here are my cleaning recipes:

Homemade everything!
Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Ivory soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

Dishwasher detergent
2tbs borax
2tbs washing soda

Deodorant

1/4c baking soda
1/4c cornstarch or arrowroot powder

Mix together to combine.
If you want it scented I think it's best to add a few drops of essential oil now.
To the powder add coconut oil one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. I use about 5-6 spoons. It will feel like store bought deodorant. You can shape it onto a empty deodorant stick or put in a small container and apply with fingers.

Toothpaste
3tbs baking soda
3tbs coconut oil
1/2 sm packet stevia powder
20 drops peppermint oil

Body wash
1 bar ivory soap, grated

Put soap in saucepan and cover with water melt over med low heat until soap is dissolved.
Pour into a 1 gallon jug and fill the rest of the way with water. Shake. Will thicken overnight.
I add a bit more water as it thickens a lot IMO

Air Freshner
1/2 vodka
1/2 water
Essential oil

All Purpose Cleaner
2c water
2c vinegar
Few drops of EO
Pour all ingredients in a spray bottle. Don't worry the vinegar scent will disappear as it dries.

Liquid Hand Soap
1 part castile soap
3 parts water
2-5 drops of lemon oil or any other you like.
Pour into a foaming soap dispenser.

Carpet freshner
1 box baking soda
25-30 drops EO

Pour into a container With holes
The Kraft Parmesan cheese container works great or you can make one with a Pringles can and put holes in the lid.

Shampoo
2c Castile liquid soap
1/2c honey
1/4c olive oil
In a foaming soap dispenser and you're done.

Febreeze
1/8 cup fabric softener
2tbs baking soda
Pour in a spray bottle
Fill the rest of the way with hot water. Shake and spray.

Liquid dish soap
-½ cup castile soap
-1 tablespoon of white vinegar
-1 tablespoon of Arm&Hammer’s Super Washing Soda (used to thicken the soap)
-1/8 teaspoon of tea tree oil (optional)
Update: To thicken the soap add 1 tablespoon of shredded bar soap
Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and then pour in 1 1/2 cup of very hot water. Be sure to whisk/stir this mixture until all ingredients are thoroughly blended (and the bar soap is melted).
2. Allow mixture to cool completely on the counter. Stirring occasionally.
3. Store in any dish soap dispensing bottle and use as you would the commercial brands.

Homemade oxi clean

1 cup water
1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
1/2 cup washing soda

Mix all ingredients together and store in a dark spray bottle.

To use: Spray on soiled laundry and let it sit overnight. Or, if you have a number of clothes that are soiled, you make up a batch of this and soak them in it overnight. Then, launder as usual.

Makeup remover
1/4tsp liquid Castile soap
1tsp olive oil
1c water
Pour in a flip top bottle. Shake before use.

Unclog a drain
1c baking soda
1c vinegar
6 c boiling water
Pour the baking soda down followed by the vinegar. Wait 10 mins then follow with boiling water.

Oven door cleaner
1/2c baking soda
1/8c vinegar
Sprinkle with baking soda. Pour vinegar over door. Let sit for 15-30 mins. Wipe clean

Homemade Fabric Softener
3 cups hot water
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 cup hair conditioner
essential oils (optional)

Pour the conditioner into the hot water. Stir (don’t shake) and then add the vinegar. Pour into a gallon container. Use the same amount if the fabric softener as you would use of the store bought kind or moisten a rag and throw it in the dryer. You can put it in your Downy balls too.

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner Recipe

1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. dish detergent
1 cup water
1 piece foil

Heat water for 1-2 minutes in the microwave. Place foil in the bottom of any kind of bowl. Place salt, baking soda and detergent on top of foil and pour water over everything. Place jewelry in the cleaner and let it soak 10-20 minutes. Rinse, then dry.

As you can see we use a lot of Castile liquid baking soda and vinegar around my house. I get Castile on amazon with my amazon card I get from swagbucks.com with all my points.
I get baking soda from walgreens they have baking on sale for .50 almost monthly. And vinegar I buy by the gallon for about $3

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I don't buy premade processed meals like Oncor dinners.  I do most the cooking from scratch.  I  waste barely no leftovers.  I buy generic when possible.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I use my crockpot or electric skillet or microwave to cook as much as possible.  They're infinitely cheaper than cooking with the oven.

Laundry:  I've made my own soap, use vinegar as a fabric softener, and I wash clothes on the shortest cycle possible, with cold water for most loads.  Line dry if possible.

Cleaning:  My favorite cleaners are baking soda and a cheap dollar-store-brand magic eraser.  Add rags and some elbow grease, and you won't need much else.  I also buy the tank-drop-in-tablets for the toilet.  They last a good long time and there's no need for any toilet cleaner to keep it fresh.  To wash the floors, I use very diluted vinegar.  Cleans and won't leave a residue.

Food:  if the food manufacturers can make it, so can you.  Find recipes to make breads, crackers, sauces, salad dressings, seasoning mixes, yogurt, snack foods, etc. from scratch.  I've got plenty to share, if you're interested.

sparkyco2
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM

i just got a post from another site i belong too.  the lady gave me the link to her blog there she has her recipe for laundry detergent, it looks easy to make and doesn't look like it would be messy in the long run.   i haven't tried it yet but do plan too soon.  i posted the link below.

link:  http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html?m=1

Quoting ceo-mom:

woww, me too i make all my food from scratch we do not eat out like that, but how do you make your own cleaning and laundry detergents i love to know how please????

Quoting anotherhalf:

I make all our food from scratch and make my own laundry detergent and cleaning products.

anotherhalf
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM
That's the detergent I've been using for a year. Works perfectly and lasts a long time. I'll never go back to store bought.

Quoting sparkyco2:

i just got a post from another site i belong too.  the lady gave me the link to her blog there she has her recipe for laundry detergent, it looks easy to make and doesn't look like it would be messy in the long run.   i haven't tried it yet but do plan too soon.  i posted the link below.

link:  http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html?m=1

Quoting ceo-mom:

woww, me too i make all my food from scratch we do not eat out like that, but how do you make your own cleaning and laundry detergents i love to know how please????

Quoting anotherhalf:

I make all our food from scratch and make my own laundry detergent and cleaning products.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceo-mom
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I make my own cleaners
Cook from scratch

Homemade everything!

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Ivory soap bar
½ Cup Borax

Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

Dishwasher detergent
2tbs borax
2tbs washing soda

Deodorant

1/4c baking soda

Mix together to combine.
If you want it scented I think it's best to add a few drops of essential oil now.
To the powder add coconut oil one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. I use about 5-6 spoons. It will feel like store bought deodorant. You can shape it onto a empty deodorant stick or put in a small container and apply with fingers.

Toothpaste
3tbs baking soda
3tbs coconut oil
20 drops peppermint oil

Body wash
1 bar ivory soap, grated

Put soap in saucepan and cover with water melt over med low heat until soap is dissolved.
Pour into a 1 gallon jug and fill the rest of the way with water. Shake. Will thicken overnight.

Air Freshner
1/2 vodka
1/2 water
Essential oil

All Purpose Cleaner
2c water
2c vinegar
Few drops of EO
Pour all ingredients in a spray bottle. Don't worry the vinegar scent will disappear as it dries.

Liquid Hand Soap
1 part castile soap
3 parts water

Carpet freshner
1 box baking soda
25-30 drops EO

The Kraft Parmesan cheese container works great or you can make one with a Pringles can and put holes in the lid.

Shampoo
2c Castile liquid soap
1/2c honey
1/4c olive oil

Febreeze
1/8 cup fabric softener
2tbs baking soda
Pour in a spray bottle

Liquid dish soap
-½ cup castile soap
Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and then pour in 1 1/2 cup of very hot water. Be sure to whisk/stir this mixture until all ingredients are thoroughly blended (and the bar soap is melted).
3. Store in any dish soap dispensing bottle and use as you would the commercial brands.

Homemade oxi clean

1 cup water
1/2 cup washing soda

To use: Spray on soiled laundry and let it sit overnight. Or, if you have a number of clothes that are soiled, you make up a batch of this and soak them in it overnight. Then, launder as usual.

Makeup remover
1tsp olive oil
1c water

Unclog a drain
1c baking soda
1c vinegar
6 c boiling water
Pour the baking soda down followed by the vinegar. Wait 10 mins then follow with boiling water.

Oven door cleaner
1/2c baking soda
1/8c vinegar
Sprinkle with baking soda. Pour vinegar over door. Let sit for 15-30 mins. Wipe clean

Homemade Fabric Softener
3 cups hot water
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 cup hair conditioner

Pour the conditioner into the hot water. Stir (don’t shake) and then add the vinegar. Pour into a gallon container. Use the same amount if the fabric softener as you would use of the store bought kind or moisten a rag and throw it in the dryer. You can put it in your Downy balls too.

1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. dish detergent
1 cup water
1 piece foil

Heat water for 1-2 minutes in the microwave. Place foil in the bottom of any kind of bowl. Place salt, baking soda and detergent on top of foil and pour water over everything. Place jewelry in the cleaner and let it soak 10-20 minutes. Rinse, then dry.

As you can see we use a lot of Castile liquid baking soda and vinegar around my house. I get Castile on amazon with my amazon card I get from swagbucks.com with all my points.
I get baking soda from walgreens they have baking on sale for .50 almost monthly. And vinegar I buy by the gallon for about $3

woww that is amzazing. i am so hype on that now. you must have a lot of money saving by knowing all of this you blew my mind. thank you so much. is there's any how you copy and email this to me please.?

ceo-mom
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

yessssssssssssssss definitely i want so recipe, i am now learning how to cook American food, i usually cook traditional food but it cost so much it might take you at least 60 or more to cook just one meal, so i am now learning new recipes and how to cook other food and it cost me way cheaper.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I use my crockpot or electric skillet or microwave to cook as much as possible.  They're infinitely cheaper than cooking with the oven.

Laundry:  I've made my own soap, use vinegar as a fabric softener, and I wash clothes on the shortest cycle possible, with cold water for most loads.  Line dry if possible.

Cleaning:  My favorite cleaners are baking soda and a cheap dollar-store-brand magic eraser.  Add rags and some elbow grease, and you won't need much else.  I also buy the tank-drop-in-tablets for the toilet.  They last a good long time and there's no need for any toilet cleaner to keep it fresh.  To wash the floors, I use very diluted vinegar.  Cleans and won't leave a residue.

Food:  if the food manufacturers can make it, so can you.  Find recipes to make breads, crackers, sauces, salad dressings, seasoning mixes, yogurt, snack foods, etc. from scratch.  I've got plenty to share, if you're interested.

campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I use cold water for all my laundry.  I hang out my wash as much as I can.   Winter time here is to cold.  I use vinegar for fabric softerner.   I buy my detergent. 

I use no heat dry on my dishwasher.  I buy dollar store cleaning products.  We have a wood burning stove to help with our heat bill. 

I buy my meat in bulk from a local butcher.   I reuse and recycle as much as I can. 

chrissysnow22
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:11 PM
I learned it all here. Sure inbox me your email.

Quoting ceo-mom:

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I make my own cleaners

Cook from scratch

Homemade everything!

4 Cups - hot tap water

1 Ivory soap bar

½ Cup Borax

Dishwasher detergent

2tbs borax

2tbs washing soda

Deodorant

1/4c baking soda

Mix together to combine.

Toothpaste

3tbs baking soda

3tbs coconut oil

20 drops peppermint oil

Body wash

1 bar ivory soap, grated

Air Freshner

1/2 vodka

1/2 water

Essential oil

All Purpose Cleaner

2c water

2c vinegar

Few drops of EO

Liquid Hand Soap

1 part castile soap

3 parts water

Carpet freshner

1 box baking soda

25-30 drops EO

Shampoo

2c Castile liquid soap

1/2c honey

1/4c olive oil

Febreeze

1/8 cup fabric softener

2tbs baking soda

Pour in a spray bottle

Liquid dish soap

-½ cup castile soap

Directions:

Homemade oxi clean

1 cup water

1/2 cup washing soda

Makeup remover

1tsp olive oil

1c water

Unclog a drain

1c baking soda

1c vinegar

6 c boiling water

Oven door cleaner

1/2c baking soda

1/8c vinegar

Homemade Fabric Softener

3 cups hot water

1 1/2 cups vinegar

1 cup hair conditioner

1 Tbsp. salt

1 Tbsp. baking soda

1 Tbsp. dish detergent

1 cup water

1 piece foil

woww that is amzazing. i am so hype on that now. you must have a lot of money saving by knowing all of this you blew my mind. thank you so much. is there's any how you copy and email this to me please.?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)