Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do You think Retailers are going too far this season?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM
  • 43 Replies

By opening earlier and earlier and turing black friday into black Thanksgiving night?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I definitely do. I feel for the workers who have to leave their families on Thanksgiving to work long shifts and crazy overnight hours.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM
5 moms liked this

I do think it's going too far, but money is the driving force....and greed.  If shoppers weren't so insanely eager to take advantage of these "savings", the stores wouldn't offer them.

suthrnrose71
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I definitely think it's going to far. Employers need to take into consideration that their employees deserve to spend the day with their families. I think we all can wait till Friday morning and survive. I probably won't get to take advantage of any of the best deals because I will not be home from my inlaw's in time to be at any store by 8 pm Thursday evening. 

lillucky8
by Jen on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM
I think its wacky, but there are ppl who go so they will continue to do it :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

it doesnt matter to me...it's the shoppers who have the choice to go or not...

MamaFrankie
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM
5 moms liked this
I think it's simply disrespectful how commercialized holidays have become IMO .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Its ridiculous but I don't feel bad for the employees. They are getting paid. Just like my Dh who is working thanksgiving and Christmas as he has every year. At a 24hr truck stop.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marz31
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the people that have been camping out since Monday are INSANE! How good is a deal when you've just wasted 4 full days sitting doing nothing? is your time not worth anything? I'll might head to Target around midnight and see if anything in the ad that I wanted is still there. If not, oh well. I remember working retail on black friday, 15+ years ago. I remember being to work at 6:30 for a 7am opening. didn't get off work until 9:45 that night, yes, I worked all day. didn't matter to me, it was so busy, so fun and I was selling stuff that I got a tiny but awesome commission on, I was also a teen!

bekalynne440
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Last year it was on thanksgiving at 10 pm. This year it's 8 pm. DH says soon we'll be eating thanksgiving brunch in order for people to eat before the sales.

I have to admit I'll be there for the 8 pm sale. I don't like that its so early, but we're trying to cut pennies where we can to get things paid off and that happens to be when they have the sales we're looking for.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marz31
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Yeah and unlike last year, the place having the 8pm sale will take orders for the items on sale that hour if they run out in store. last year, we got there at like 8:30 for the 10pm sale and things were already gone and the lines for the midnight stuff had already formed. getting around was terrible. but DD still wears the undies I got her! LOL cheap undies, a reason to ditch dinner on Thanksgiving, right? (shaking head no!)

Quoting bekalynne440:

Last year it was on thanksgiving at 10 pm. This year it's 8 pm. DH says soon we'll be eating thanksgiving brunch in order for people to eat before the sales.

I have to admit I'll be there for the 8 pm sale. I don't like that its so early, but we're trying to cut pennies where we can to get things paid off and that happens to be when they have the sales we're looking for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)