Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM
  • 5 Replies
i understand setting goals and trying to save money but what if you are only making enough to live. how do you reach your goals when you cant afford to put money in ratings?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM
This is a great question and I have often asked myself the same question. We make just enough to pay our bills and have cut everything we could.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I've been there.

I challenged myself to save $5 a week, then $10 a week, usually in the grocery budget.  Then I forced my total budget to work with $25 a week less than I was used to, and I had the paycheck directly deposited with $25 of it automatically going to savings every week.  We paid ourselves first by doing this.  If I never touched the money physically, it was a lot easier to save. 

chinosruca
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Find ways to cut and whatever you save....pay yourself. Our lityle extra goes to a savings account in a credit union separate from our regular checking account. I don't have an atm/debit card for that account and will not touch it. It is not for emergencies, shopping, nothing. I want to buy a house in 5 years. I will not do anything to stop me from doing so. I started by putting $25 minimum a month in it, then increase it as much as possible. Even if it is only a few bucks a week, I always add to it and never withdraw from it.

Sell things on ebay, garage sales, etc. put any extra $ away. Forget about it! Hard to do when you are struggling, but worth it when you build your savings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

ANY amount is a good start. Even if its a few bucks. Put it in a jar and leave it be! Add your change and spare dollars where you can. You'll be amazed at how it adds up!

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I think that's when you have to sit down and take a look at what goes in the house, and what goes out.  Then go from there.  Even if it's just a $1 or $2 you are still putting something towards savings.  I only put $5 off top before I do anything else, and then will put more after if there is something left over.  Some months I can put an extra $20 or $10 or more, and some months I can't.  I also think it's good to take it off the top before you do anything else, but that doesn't work for everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)