Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How many meals could you make using only what you have on hand before you would need to go to the store again?  What are some examples of what you would make?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Now are we including what's on hand in the fridge and freezer.  If we are. Then I can make a ton of meals.   I could do pasta and sauce with garlic bread.  Pizza, pot pies,venison roast, pork chops, chicken, turkey, ham steak.  The list goes on and on.  I have a full upright freezer with food.  Plus a load of non parishibles.  I was trying to get us through the holiday break I have to take from work.  I will be off like about 3- 3 1/2 weeks without pay.  From like December 20- January 16th.  So I been trying to have lots of food on hand while I don't work.  Just running out for parishible staples like.  Milk,bread,butter, eggs and like that. 

a_and_j_momma
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Oh man. At least a month. I am too lazy for examples lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I have tons of rice, beans (canned and dry), dry lentils, pasta/sauce, boxes of soup, canned chicken, canned tomatoes/corn, crackers, and lots of flour/sugar/oatmeal so we could eat three meals per day for probably...two weeks comfortably if we are talking pantry only (no freezer/fridge).  Plus more if we get creative or want to eat rice and beans for a month.  Meals I could make with pantry items only include:

• Breakfasts: oatmeal w/ brown sugar, pancakes, and dry cereal, granola bars
  • Lunches: chicken salad on crackers, boxed soups
  • Dinners: spaghetti, fettuchini alfredo, vegetarian chili, black beans & rice, homemade chicken noodle soup, homemade taco soup
  • snacks; popcorn, jello, crackers, peanuts
pampire
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:20 AM

7 or 8.  We could have Alfredo pasta, pesto pasta, marinara with garlic bread, mac n' cheese, chili, a couple types of soup, au gratin yams and potatoes, cheesy rice, Spanish rice

chrissysnow22
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:53 AM
I could probably only make it a week unless I ate that cup of noodle crap back there. Except for thanksgiving shopping I have been living out of it for about a month now.
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here. I've got several lbs of beans. About 40lbS of rice. Bunches of meat in my freezer. Cream of soups and broths. Frozen veggies and canned veggies. Cereals and snacks

Quoting michiganmom116:

I could make it for a month, easily.  Two months would be pushing it but I could probably do it.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Now are we including what's on hand in the fridge and freezer.  If we are. Then I can make a ton of meals.   I could do pasta and sauce with garlic bread.  Pizza, pot pies,venison roast, pork chops, chicken, turkey, ham steak.  The list goes on and on.  I have a full upright freezer with food.  Plus a load of non parishibles.  I was trying to get us through the holiday break I have to take from work.  I will be off like about 3- 3 1/2 weeks without pay.  From like December 20- January 16th.  So I been trying to have lots of food on hand while I don't work.  Just running out for parishible staples like.  Milk,bread,butter, eggs and like that. 

Yep, I meant including the fridge and freezer too.  It sounds like you have quite a nice stockpile!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I could probably only make it a week unless I ate that cup of noodle crap back there. Except for thanksgiving shopping I have been living out of it for about a month now.

That's about where I'm at too.  I haven't been using it for a straight month, but we've been eating out of it here and there for several months and I'm just about empty.  I need to start stockpiling again.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

You ladies are awesome!

matreshka
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Tacos

pancakes

soup lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)