Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How many meals could you make using only what you have on hand before you would need to go to the store again?  What are some examples of what you would make?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
bbyB10
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Spaghetti , I have frozen meatballs, 3 packs of Texas toast garlic bread, I have chicken nuggets, I can make tacos, baked chicken dinner, etcccc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
Chanting. "4 more weeks."
Yesterday at 8:14 PM
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Just pantry? No refrigerated stuff? Can I use water????? ;)

If I can use water, um... maybe 5-7 meals, but they sure and shit wouldn't be that nutritious!

Pasta with artichokes, risotto, spaghetti, bean & corn salad, baked potatoes, bowls of cereal with water, pancakes????

I'm out of ideas.

slightlyperfect

opal10161973
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I could easily feed our family for 2-4 weeks before needing to go to the store again. 

lilmsnay83
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I have a Campbell Soup 15 minute cook book that list many things you can do with campbell soup.  With what I have in the cabinet right now - noodle, rice, beans,enchilda sauce, tortillas, canned chicken and canned tuna and many different kinds of campbell soup I can probably make a few things if I thought of it.

rice with beans and chunky tomatoes

rice, stewed tomatoes and sausage

chicken over rice using cream of chicken sauce

chicken enchiladas

I have talapia in the freezer so I can also make fish tacos or baked fish with some sides

chicken strogonoff

chicken salad or tuna salad

I always use my old bananas to make banana muffins

spaghetti with chunky tomatoes

Oh and I just discovered this week that you can make homemade sloppy joe with Campbells tomato soup, ground turkey, worchestsire sauce ( I know I spelled that wrong) and a little sugar.  I didnt have the sauce so I used a little A1 steak sauce and my daughter still loved it.

lilmsnay83
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Homemade chicken noodle soup sounds good.  I have everything I need for that except for egg noodles.  I have rice though so I can make chicken and rice soup.

Marz31
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Heh, we did this for 2 weeks last month, because we were both out of money the day we got paid. chicken and noodles, spaghetti (altho we didn't have sauce, but I made sauce, there's a reason I buy jars, it's just cheaper!), tacos, hamburger steaks, mashed potatoes (the costco mashed potato packets are great, really!) meatloaf, jambalaya, dirty rice, kung pao chicken, another boxed pasta and chicken dish, can't remember the name. ramen (HA!), peanut butter and jelly, TJ's cookie spread on bread ;) we have a couple of steaks in the freezer, and green beans. There's a lot. all we bought in those two weeks was eggs, milk and bread. altho I could have made bread too.

chrissysnow22
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM
I haven't had the time or money (or both) to go and we have survived just fine.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I could probably only make it a week unless I ate that cup of noodle crap back there. Except for thanksgiving shopping I have been living out of it for about a month now.

That's about where I'm at too.  I haven't been using it for a straight month, but we've been eating out of it here and there for several months and I'm just about empty.  I need to start stockpiling again.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I think I get a bit obsessed with food and supplies in the house. I keep thinking I need to have a good supply on hand.  Just in case there is an emergency.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Now are we including what's on hand in the fridge and freezer.  If we are. Then I can make a ton of meals.   I could do pasta and sauce with garlic bread.  Pizza, pot pies,venison roast, pork chops, chicken, turkey, ham steak.  The list goes on and on.  I have a full upright freezer with food.  Plus a load of non parishibles.  I was trying to get us through the holiday break I have to take from work.  I will be off like about 3- 3 1/2 weeks without pay.  From like December 20- January 16th.  So I been trying to have lots of food on hand while I don't work.  Just running out for parishible staples like.  Milk,bread,butter, eggs and like that. 

Yep, I meant including the fridge and freezer too.  It sounds like you have quite a nice stockpile!

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Probably 1-200.

I have canned EVERYTHING, boxes and boxes of stuff... I mean so much stuff I need a second bedroom lol.

If it just me eating.. probably 250 meals or so not including protein shakes, since I have a lapband.

With the SO/stray/animals involved, probably closer to 100.

No.. I'm not a prepper. :)

artistic_kitty
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Spaghetti and meatballs

pizza

metloaf muffins

cheesy chicken and rice

Velveeta beef stroganoff

Hamburger pie

Homemade shakNbake Porkchops

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)