Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm getting burned out on couponing

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM
  • 33 Replies

I really do like the savings I get couponing, even if its around $10.  I'm by no means an "extreme" couponer.  Lately though I have been so burned out searching for coupons, matching up sales and then just getting out to do the grocery shopping.

Part of it is my little to non-existant attention span lately.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get past coupon burnout?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I wish I knew.  I gave up on it a while ago because it became so time consuming.  First you have to search out the coupon matches, then you have to clip the coupons and organize your list (I had to write out the scenarios on a seperate piece of paper so that I could keep them straight), then I had to go to three to four different stores to take advantage of all of the savings.  I'll bet altogether I would spend three full days on couponing.  I just became exhausted with it. 

I'd like to get back into it though, so I'll be watching this thread for motivation!

lillucky8
by Jen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Im burnt out lately also, but mine is bc we have no money to spend so i feel guilty if its not something we need right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I've gotten burned out, the kick myself for spending to much. I suggest following a coupon site, they find and match sales for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

i had to take a break myself but not from burn out ...but it happens...i guess it happens in cycles tho....so im sure you will get back the interest again..following blogs for the stores you shop will help you as far as knowing where the coupons are and matching to sales...

circupon
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this

hello matreshka,

i agree that couponing is really never free. it costs a lot of time. to that end, last year i had the idea of www.circupon.com that hopefully will only take 20 seconds to search for what you need and see matching coupons - visually. we are just doing the drugstores now, but hope to add more national chains soon and figure out how to make printing easier. hope it helps. and if you have any other ideas that could help you, i would love to hear them.

good luck, danielle

laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Something I do is I go to my blogs and have them do the matchups for me they are usally done for the walgreens, cvs, and then sometimes local stores as well. That saves me time from having to do it.

midnight_storm
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM
When I mostly newspaper coupon clip, I would go through periods of burn out. For some reason, since I've gone to using a couple apps it feels simplified to me and less time consuming. I know I'm not saving as much as I probably could, but my time and sanity is worth that little bit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM
I am not doing much either. I have had very limited time lately
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I am soooooooooooo right there with you!  the clipping, the organizing, the matching, etc. really gets to me. 

To get past it, I save my big savings receipts such as my most recent trip, I spent $80 but I saved $50!  I also try and do a big shop just once a month, so it is not a constant affair.  When my stockpile gets to about 3, then a replenish it.  I also stockpile on things that won't go bad, so I dont have to go as often such as shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.

Another way to get past it is to look at my bills so I know what I save by couponing can go towards paying those off.  I also have 2 daughters, so I think about their college funds and their weddings.

matreshka
by Valerie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Great! I hope you add groceries soon :)

Quoting circupon:

hello matreshka,

i agree that couponing is really never free. it costs a lot of time. to that end, last year i had the idea of www.circupon.com that hopefully will only take 20 seconds to search for what you need and see matching coupons - visually. we are just doing the drugstores now, but hope to add more national chains soon and figure out how to make printing easier. hope it helps. and if you have any other ideas that could help you, i would love to hear them.

good luck, danielle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)