Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas
i was hoping that you ladies could give me a sample shopping list and tell me what it is that you make with your ingredients. i am trying hard to meal plan but it seems like either i still spend a fortune or i ebt the same things night after night. i was also hoping to get a jist of what you spend on each trip. thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Most of her meals use 1 lb of meat...that would only be 2 oz of meat per person.

One bag of frozen veggies is only 2 oz per person for 8.

Quoting specialwingz:

Then, how do you figure her menu is under-portioned?

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

I know what correct portion sizes are.

Quoting specialwingz:

In my household, the jambalaya would be served with corn bread and a good sized salad.  If I served only cup or less to my 3 guys (20 yr old twin boys and a fiance), they'd think I was handing them something to taste test before dinner.  LOL.

The rest of the meals would easily feed our family of 4 adults with leftovers for a 2nd meal.

On that note, one has to realize what actual portion sizes are.  Americans have the largest eyes when it comes to meal portions.  One meat portion for a person is approximately the size of the palm of their hand.  A woman is approx. 3 oz.  Men are approx. 6 oz.  Children, generally 1-2 oz, depending on their age and size.  But, Americans want all they can get for their dollar.  So, even though that 8 oz sirloin with loaded baked potato and dinner salad is almost triple portions for a woman, they will eat it all because that meal was on special for $10.95.  Men, generally order the 10 oz, which is almost double their single portion as well.  Look at the kids meals on the menus.  They are WAY over portioned.  Setting up those kids for larger portion expectations in their adult futures.

Cooking at home...if you plan hearty filling meals, there doesn't have to be a ton of food set before every family member.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

It is not just this meal...all your meals look only big enough to feed four.

Quoting michiganmom116:

That 1/2 pkg. of sausage was PART of the jambalaya...which also has chicken breasts, rice, tomatoes, spices, etc.  The recipe makes a good 3 - 4 quarts (between 6 - 8 cups) of thick jambalaya...more than enough to satisfy everyone's bellies.  It could feed my family of 7 (4 adults, 3 teens/tweens) with leftovers.  Add a package of corn muffin mix made into muffins (fairly inexpensive) and it would fill them even more.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

There is no way a 1/2 package of meat is enough protein for 8 people...and your portions must be really small.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

I stopped reading when I saw sausage for 50�¢â�¦where can you get that on a normal basis?

1/2 pkg, regular cost was 99�¢ two years ago for a 1 lb. pkg at Save A Lot

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually, only a few specify an amount of meat.  The majority just state the type of meat.  She raises her own chickens, which she posted at the bottom.  She also uses other things in her meals that are protien rich.  And, many times, there are more than one type of veggies served.  Most of the meals also state (rest on hand).  This means she has other things she's added to the meal that she didn't need on her grocery list.  This is also stated at the bottom of her post.

You asked for sample grocery lists.  This is her list.  She wasn't asked to post a pantry (onhand list).

I've known Rhonda for about 18 months.  And, I know for a fact her family is neither malnurished nor going around hungry.  I have followed many of her meal plans and recipes and have fed my family rather well with many of them.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Most of her meals use 1 lb of meat...that would only be 2 oz of meat per person.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting specialwingz:

In my household, the jambalaya would be served with corn bread and a good sized salad.  If I served only cup or less to my 3 guys (20 yr old twin boys and a fiance), they'd think I was handing them something to taste test before dinner.  LOL.

The rest of the meals would easily feed our family of 4 adults with leftovers for a 2nd meal.

On that note, one has to realize what actual portion sizes are.  Americans have the largest eyes when it comes to meal portions.  One meat portion for a person is approximately the size of the palm of their hand.  A woman is approx. 3 oz.  Men are approx. 6 oz.  Children, generally 1-2 oz, depending on their age and size.  But, Americans want all they can get for their dollar.  So, even though that 8 oz sirloin with loaded baked potato and dinner salad is almost triple portions for a woman, they will eat it all because that meal was on special for $10.95.  Men, generally order the 10 oz, which is almost double their single portion as well.  Look at the kids meals on the menus.  They are WAY over portioned.  Setting up those kids for larger portion expectations in their adult futures.

Cooking at home...if you plan hearty filling meals, there doesn't have to be a ton of food set before every family member.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting michiganmom116:

That 1/2 pkg. of sausage was PART of the jambalaya...which also has chicken breasts, rice, tomatoes, spices, etc.  The recipe makes a good 3 - 4 quarts (between 6 - 8 cups) of thick jambalaya...more than enough to satisfy everyone's bellies.  It could feed my family of 7 (4 adults, 3 teens/tweens) with leftovers.  Add a package of corn muffin mix made into muffins (fairly inexpensive) and it would fill them even more.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

There is no way a 1/2 package of meat is enough protein for 8 people...and your portions must be really small.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

I stopped reading when I saw sausage for 50�¢â�¦where can you get that on a normal basis?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Sorry....the jambalaya recipe I posted makes between 3 to 4 quarts...that's 12 to 16 CUPS...more than enough to feed 8.
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Whatever you say. I am not going to continue to argue with you since youare so obviously her cheerleader.
BTW, I have nothing against her. Her reply just seems unrealistic.

Quoting specialwingz:

Actually, only a few specify an amount of meat.  The majority just state the type of meat.  She raises her own chickens, which she posted at the bottom.  She also uses other things in her meals that are protien rich.  And, many times, there are more than one type of veggies served.  Most of the meals also state (rest on hand).  This means she has other things she's added to the meal that she didn't need on her grocery list.  This is also stated at the bottom of her post.

You asked for sample grocery lists.  This is her list.  She wasn't asked to post a pantry (onhand list).

I've known Rhonda for about 18 months.  And, I know for a fact her family is neither malnurished nor going around hungry.  I have followed many of her meal plans and recipes and have fed my family rather well with many of them.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Maybe if they were 4 hungry lumberjacks.

The 6 to 8 cups was a miscalculation...I was distracted.  The jambalaya is a good 3 to 4 quarts when made up, and a quart is 4 cups...so that would be 12 to 16 cups.   The rice makes it filling, and 2 cups per person is more than I and my DD could eat.  I always had plenty of leftovers for that meal.

The chicken alfredo was another story:  everyone wanted seconds just because it was so good, so I made sure to add garlic bread and salad.

I agree with Corey:  add sides to any main dish and it'll stretch further. 

For someone trying to stretch dollars when it comes to food, and taking into account the recommended daily protein intake of 6 to 9 oz. a DAY, along with the fact that other foods besides meat contain protein, these meals provide adequate nutrition as long as it's not the only meal of the day.  Breakfast and lunch and snacks should also be considered when determining daily nutrition.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

I stopped reading when I saw sausage for 50¢…where can you get that on a normal basis?

1/2 pkg, regular cost was 99¢ two years ago for a 1 lb. pkg at Save A Lot

erienne06
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM
I always make sure I have meats on hand. In my house: chicken, hamburger, pork chops, salmon, tilapia, neckbones, and steak
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM
What do you use neckbones for? I've heard of them but have never seen them at the store

Quoting erienne06:

I always make sure I have meats on hand. In my house: chicken, hamburger, pork chops, salmon, tilapia, neckbones, and steak
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erienne06
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this
They are pork neckbones so find them by the pork chops and ribs. I boil them with peeled potatoes in a big pot for two hours. Neckbones first hour then add the potatoes the last hour.

Quoting mamabearlehman:

What do you use neckbones for? I've heard of them but have never seen them at the store

Quoting erienne06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Rhonda's numbers are pretty amazing and somewhat unbelievable but then again she is pretty amazing.

When i joined the group I was spending almost $500 a month to feed my family of 2. I started using some of her suggestions and some of her recipes and my now family of 5 eats for less than $250 a month and that's 4 adults and 1 kid.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Whatever you say. I am not going to continue to argue with you since youare so obviously her cheerleader.

BTW, I have nothing against her. Her reply just seems unrealistic.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

chrissysnow22
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Spaghetti and green salad with garlic bread
Pasta- $1.00
Lettuce- $1.00
Tomatoes- $2.00 for 4
Yellow onion- $1.00

Taco salad
Black beans .69
Cheddar cheese 1.25
Lime- .59
Avocado- $1.29

Baked chicken rice and gravy

Chicken- $4.49 pack

Stir fry
Carrots- $1.99
Bell pepper $1.99
Sweet potato $1.99

Baked potato soup

Kitchen sink salad

I get ground beef, garlic, and sweet potatoes from my job.

I keep chicken broth, potatoes, eggs, cream, flour, etc on a regular basis.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)