Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How in the world?!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM
  • 25 Replies

Our utility bill was OVER $400!! I need to figure out how to get that down....a lot! I realize it's getting colder, but I was budgeting 400/month and thought that was high. 

Any ideas what to check for to get this bill down? We don't have any more things plugged in here than we did in our last house, yet the bill is double. What can we do?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM
3 moms liked this

heat:  check your furnace filter.  Keep your thermostat low...or maybe you need a new thermostat.

Lights are on more during this time of year.  Be very careful about what lights are left on.  Use more LED bulbs.

Do you have any gaming consoles?  They suck juice, even when they are turned off.  If the light on the power supply cord is on, it's sucking juice.  Unplug them.  Same with laptops, desk top computers, cell phone chargers, etc.

You are probably cooking more.  An oven takes a large amount of power to heat up (if you have electric.)  Try using your crockpot, electric skillet, microwave, or else bake/cook in large batches and freeze the extra. 

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM
3 moms liked this
You can ask your gas/electric company to do an audit on your home. Clean your a/c filters, too. See about sealing your windows and stuff towels under closed doors. Also, you can use spray foam inside your electric sockets to help insulate. Unplug what you can, monitor the lights, and consider using small room heaters rather than the central air. I found that this really lowered our bill.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniferW67
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Besides everything listed above, check your insulation. We ended us adding blow-in insulation in our attic. It helped a lot. We did it ourselves and didn't cost much. What kind of windows and window coverings do you have? Lots of heat get lost through windows.

kiske
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM

How recently did you move in?  Could the bill be extra time because you weren't on the billing cycle yet or deposits/startup fees?  

Other than that doors and windows.  A gap around the edge of the door is something equivalent to a 6 inch square hole.  Our last house we had to use plastic sheeting over the windows in winter.  I don't know how much it helped our costs but we felt warmer so didn't mess with the thermostat as often.

AzariahsMother
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM

surprised What!!!!  I have never seen a bill over $80 bucks.  Are you sure they didn't double or something.  That is just crazy to me.

Cassie2115
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

We moved in August and it's monthly billing so no there isn't any extra fees from that.

Quoting kiske:

How recently did you move in?  Could the bill be extra time because you weren't on the billing cycle yet or deposits/startup fees?  

Other than that doors and windows.  A gap around the edge of the door is something equivalent to a 6 inch square hole.  Our last house we had to use plastic sheeting over the windows in winter.  I don't know how much it helped our costs but we felt warmer so didn't mess with the thermostat as often.

specialwingz
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM

What state are you in?

Cassie2115
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Minnesota

Quoting specialwingz:

What state are you in?

lillucky8
by Jen on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Maybe the meter is malfunctioning, maybe ask them to come look at it and do a reread
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
P.johnson
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I agree with checking the windows etc.. unpluging somethings..  Also I would call your company and see if they have some kind of level plan were you can get on and have the same bill each month. For the future to aviod a scare like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)