• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about potato.......

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM
  • 7 Replies

i am learning to make American dish and i ma now making parmesan chicken which i ma now a pro at and bake potatoes and last time i made the potatoes they had no salt so i just cut the potatoes and put them in salt water added with pepper and some garlic powder. but my question is do i suppose to put them in salt water or not and can that surely add salt to them? i need so quick answer i am making earlier dinner and lunch because i have class at 3:30 pm so i am starting my cooking now so someone please help. i am breaking away from my ethnic cooking it is too expensive.

ps: they have been soaking so like 10 minutes already. i am planning on leaving them for 30 minutes before baking them under the stove.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamabear0791
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I think it would add a little bit of salty flavor to them, especially if you puncture the potatoes with a fork first. Good luck!

matreshka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM

What is your ethnic background?  Up here we have many small grocers of different ethnicities.  Their goods are a lot cheaper than trying to buy some of the "ethnic" stuff at a supermarket. I make many non-American meals.

What kind of potato dish are you making, baked? mashed? something else?  I always salt the water when boiling potatoes.  If I am making baked potatoes I just stick fork holes in them and cover them with foil, then add toppings when they are done.

ceo-mom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

we are Haitians. i am making baked potatoes cut inot small piece with parmesan chicken and rice. i live in MA and everything is expensive her and American dishes snd way cheaper then trying to make Haitian food. last month i spent close to $800 in groceries and this month i have not spent $400 yet even the month is not over yet i am still under budget and my kids love the american meal best.

ices

Quoting matreshka:

What is your ethnic background?  Up here we have many small grocers of different ethnicities.  Their goods are a lot cheaper than trying to buy some of the "ethnic" stuff at a supermarket. I make many non-American meals.

What kind of potato dish are you making, baked? mashed? something else?  I always salt the water when boiling potatoes.  If I am making baked potatoes I just stick fork holes in them and cover them with foil, then add toppings when they are done.

matreshka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I live in MA too (western MA) and I have never seen a Hatian store.  I am glad now you are under budget.  The ethnic foods I make are mostly Indian, Thai and Chinese, sometimes Latino.  I make my curies and sauces myself by buying bulk herbs and spices, oils so it saves a lot. 

Quoting ceo-mom:

we are Haitians. i am making baked potatoes cut inot small piece with parmesan chicken and rice. i live in MA and everything is expensive her and American dishes snd way cheaper then trying to make Haitian food. last month i spent close to $800 in groceries and this month i have not spent $400 yet even the month is not over yet i am still under budget and my kids love the american meal best.

ices

Quoting matreshka:

ceo-mom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

exactly there are not much Haitians stores but i got to the Spanish store and get whatever i can to make up for it.

Quoting matreshka:

I live in MA too (western MA) and I have never seen a Hatian store.  I am glad now you are under budget.  The ethnic foods I make are mostly Indian, Thai and Chinese, sometimes Latino.  I make my curies and sauces myself by buying bulk herbs and spices, oils so it saves a lot. 

Quoting ceo-mom:

ices

Quoting matreshka:

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
The thing about potatoes is that they suck up salt (if you ever over-salt something, throw a cut potato in and it will mellow out the salt, just remove it before serving). You can salt your potatoes. Try cutting them up, drizzling them with olive oil, sprinkling them with a little salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bake them in a foil lined pan.

I agree, some ethnic foods can be so expensive. Best wishes on your new recipes, and Welcome!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM
We have an asian market in manchester nh i love and their prices are good, especially for mangos in the summer...

And ive never made baked potatoes so im no help. The ones ive seen made had no salt added.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)