Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Cutting costs?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM
  • 27 Replies
I need help with cutting costs so we can start saving. Can anyone help?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DieselsMom
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:39 AM

The first thing I did was start meal planning...and making grocery lists!! It helped us a ton with buying stuff that we wouldn't eat before it went rotten, etc!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Definitely meal planning will help!  Keep a price notebook, too:  that way you'll be able to see at a glance which stores truly do have the lowest prices on items you buy regularly.  I went a step further and wrote down the cost to buy ingredients for many of our favorite meals, and was a little surprised at how some meals I'd thought were cheap actually cost more than others. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Make your own laundry detergent and other cleaners.  The initial outlay for supplies may seem like a lot, but they will last for longer than purchased cleaners.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Do an energy check:  walk around each room and identify what is plugged into an outlet.  Is that item in use 100% of the time?  If not, it can be unplugged/plugged into a power strip and turned off.  We did that with our TV, desktop computer, and video game systems.  That alone saved me $30 a month. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Turn down your water heater to the lowest setting.  Adding an insulating blanket to the water heater will also save you money.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Clean the coils on the fridge and freezer.  Dust/lint/etc. on the coils can keep the fridge/freezer from working efficiently, and that appliance is a huge energy sucker.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Learn to do simple car repairs yourself. 

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I would look at everything you pay for each month.  See what you can do without. Then start there with your cutting.  I would look at your food budget.  Me am not afraid to admit we eat generics when possible. Do menu planning. I used to be strict to our menu plan. But since our son moved out.  I'm not as strict. Me stopped using the credit card.  It will be May it will be 2yrs I had no balance on it.  If you can try to pay off any credit cards you have.  Put them away where you can't see them.  Spend only on cash you have on hand. 

matreshka
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Determine what you are spending your money on and seperate your needs from wants.  Take all your needs/bills and tally them up. I do things on a monthly budget.  Setting budgets for things like groceries helps too.  I find that DH and I having 2 prepaid phones is a lot cheaper around here than any phone plan. 

AzariahsMother
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM

meal planning

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)