Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

cigarettes and my budget

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM
  • 47 Replies
I am trying to begin budgeting our money.but have a big question. My Dh smokes 2-3 packs a day. Should cigarettes get taken out of the budget having a separate envelope OR should it come out of his spending money?? I estimate we spend around $250-300/ mo just on cigarettes.
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tbabys
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM
By the way don't know if it makes a difference but he is not working at the moment so I'm the only one bringing in any$$$. We are a family of 5.
soontobemommie3
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM
That is insane! Sorry. I would tell him at the least he needs to cut back and get a job. :/ sorry, other than that idk. It would def come out of his spending money though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sandra1023
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Wow, that's crazy.  If it were me, it would come out of his money.  But, there is no way I could ever be married to a smoker, so I guess it is moot for me.  lol  The economy is just so bad right now, and money is tight for most people.  300.00 per month is a car payment!  I'm sure smokers will have more reasonable suggestions for you than I do. 

sleepymommy87
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM
He should quit. It's nasty and a huge waste of money. But that's just my opinion. I'd tell him he should have to use his spending money because cigarettes are a dirty addiction and not a necessity you should have to budget for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Quit......saves money and future medical
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mikesmom65270
by Helen on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

At the very least, he needs to cut way back, quitting altogether would be best for all of you and your budget.  A job would be good, but might be difficult to accomplish.  By all means, if he chooses not to quit, he should pay for smokes out of his own spending money and not the house budget.

sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM

2-3 packs a day?! Jesom crow he is going to have cancer within the next ten years!! My goodness, that is NOT okay!! I'd make it come out of his spending money, then maybe he'll smoke less. That is so dangerous.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

lyrick24
by Melissa on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

it should be taken out of his spending money.

tbabys
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM
We both agree he needs to stop but easier said then done.. looking into electronic cigarettes but just as expensive. As far as work he is actively seeking employment but due to serious health issues has been unable to pass pre employment physical for the kind of work he is used to.
chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM
There is a device that pokes holes in the cigarettes it's supposed to help you quit. I think that's what my dad used to quit. He still ended up with lung cancer, though and only lived to 65.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN