Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

foodbank question

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM
  • 17 Replies
ive donated to foodbanks before but never understood quite how they work. im now finding that i need their help. how do i in about getting food from them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM
I'd start with a phone call and find out how it works. I think every place is different. Good luck!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Homeschoolmom99
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I know Catholic Charities has one in every city and you do not need to be Catholic to get help. Also Salvation Army does as well

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I'd start with a phone call and find out how it works. I think every place is different. Good luck!!!!

nmaxwell816
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM
I have no idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Call ahead to find out the hours that someone is there.  Go in.  You may need to answer some questions about income, describe your situation, but it's usually pretty easy and not intimidating.  They do take your name, I believe, so they can keep track of whether you keep returning to take advantage of them.  Some people do.  In our area, most visits to a food bank are limited to once or twice a month.

Moki75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

All I can tell you about was the one I used in MO.  once a month.  you had to have a card ( meaning you basically registered).  they needed ss cards for everybody and proof of address in the county in order for you to use it.

BigMamaMN
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I'm on the board of a food shelf. Every single one of them is a wee bit different. They may have a website that states their hours and policies if you don't want to call. Ours is really nice and a lot of the local high-end grocery stores donate a lot of amazing food. They will accommodate dietary requirements too, like vegetarian, gluten-free, lactose free, etc.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:01 PM

By us I think you have to show a statement of your income for the month. 

chrissysnow22
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Ours has  a website and you can call for emergency food or apply to get in the program.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Everyone is different but basically find out there open hours, go down and you may or maynot have to fill out some paperwork.  Ours has people do it because you can only go every 45 days.

ninamsi
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Some churches have food banks as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN