Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

After talking to my mom, we have decided to do at least one meal a week without meat. We are both fine with this and think its a good way to cut back some. However, I have no recipes... and I am leary of just picking one offline and going with it. So I wanted to know which ones yall have tried or use, just to give me somewhere to start.

Any suggestions? :) 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (51-60):
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM

These are good! i used to make these before we found out DH can't tolerate legumes.

Quoting JenniferW67:

Black Bean and Brown Rice Burgers

1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, chopped (white or yellow)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup frozen corn
1 teaspoon salt
cayenne pepper (to taste)
1/3 teaspoon chili powder
1 egg
1/3 cup breadcrumbs (preferably seasoned)

Directions:

In a small pot, combine rice and 1 cup water; bring to a boil, and then turn down to medium heat and cook 20 minutes.In a saucepan, heat a little oil over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent and soft.
Add the corn and spices and cook until the corn is defrosted, another 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mash the drained beans with a fork or your fingers.
Add the rice, corn, and onion; combine, mashing it with your fork as you go. Taste and adjust the spices now, because once you put the egg in you could risk salmonella.
Add the egg and mix in well.
Add the breadcrumbs.
Form into patties by patting the desired amount of mixtured into a flat round. (I used a giant cookie scoop to make sure all the patties were the same size, but you can just divide the mixture into six sections).
Cook about 2 minutes on each side (if you can't flip the patty without breaking it, it's probably not finished cooking).

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/black-bean-brown-rice-burgers-382218?oc=linkback

JenniferW67
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Oh no! I hope isn't a legume lover. lol I would really miss beans.

Quoting matreshka:

These are good! i used to make these before we found out DH can't tolerate legumes.

Quoting JenniferW67:

Black Bean and Brown Rice Burgers

JenniferW67
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Ok, I lied, this is the last one I promise. I noticed that you like mexican food. This taco sauce is so good and makes a ton. It's easy and last a long time in the fridge.

Taco Bell Wild Sauce

(6 ounce) can tomato paste
3 cups water
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons finely minced pickled jalapeno peppers
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

1 -Combine the tomato paste and water in a saucepan; whisk until smooth.
2 Add the remaining ingredients to the tomato mixture; bring to a boil, and stir for 1 minute.
3 Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in refrigerator.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-bell-wild-sauce-298543?oc=linkback
Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

No worries! Please get carried away! I feel more conifident about this new adventure now :)

Quoting JenniferW67:

This is the last one that I'll post. I'm getting a little carried away. lol But, this is really good and cheap to make considering how much it makes.

Mariana Pasta Sauce Vegetarian

3 -4 tablespoons olive oil (I use enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of my pot)
1 large onion, chopped
4 -6 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste, the more the better I use 6 extra large cloves)
1 tablespoon dried basil (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to taste)
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (can use two cans for a thicker richer sauce if desired)
1 (28 ounce) can whole roma tomatoes, undrained (break up with a fork before cooking, go ahead and use two cans if desired!)
1/3-1/2 cup dry red wine (you may omit if desired but good to add in, can use white wine)
2 teaspoons sugar (optional or to taste)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, a good tomato sauce needs lots so don't be shy with the salt)
fresh ground black pepper (to taste)

Directions:

In a heavy-bottomed stockpot or Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add in onions, garlic and dried red pepper flakes, basil and oregano; saute for about 3-4 minutes.
Add in the tomato paste and stir for 2-3 minutes.
Add in the Roma tomatoes with juice and wine; simmer uncovered over low heat for 1-2 hours (I usually cook it for at least a couple of hours) stirring occasionally.
Season with salt and pepper and add in sugar if desired.
**NOTE** if you prefer a thinner sauce, then add in some water.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-marinara-pasta-sauce-vegetarian-136292?oc=linkback

KRIZZ25
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM
make big salad wth all different veggies, maybe some kinda bread .mayie some dessert .
Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I am definetly considering a soup and salad night :) - none of us are big bread eaters, little one won't touch it at all. 

Quoting KRIZZ25:

make big salad wth all different veggies, maybe some kinda bread .mayie some dessert .

KRIZZ25
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Quoting Anniea90:

that's good idea.veg soup.
JenniferW67
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM
If you like spicy, this is a good recipe there are lots of other Asian peanut noodle recipes. Try a few and see what you like. I love these meals because they can be eaten warm or cold. Thai Noodles With Spicy Peanut Sauce Noodles 12 ounces linguine 4 tablespoons sesame oil Sauce 1/2 cup green onion, chopped 1 cup finely shredded carrot 2 cups frozen stir fry vegetables 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced 1/4 cup honey 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter 1/4 cup soy sauce 3 tablespoons rice vinegar 1/2 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce Directions: 1Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water according to package directions. 2Drain and return to pot. 3Add 2 TBSP sesame oil and toss to coat. 4Set aside.Heat remaining 2 TBSP sesame oil in heavy pot over medium-high heat. 5Add green onions, carrots, stir-fry veggies, garlic and ginger. 6Saute until vegetables soften, about 4 minutes. 7Add honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar and chili-garlic sauce and mix well. 8Simmer sauce 2 minutes. 9Pour sauce over pasta and toss well. Transfer to platter and serve warm.Garnish with additional green onions, if desired. Yields 8 side dish servings or 4 main dish servings. **Chili-Garlicsauce can be increased or decreased depending on how spicy you like your dish. As written, this recipe has some heat, but is still edible for my toddler son. Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/thai-noodles-with-spicy-peanut-sauce-99918?oc=linkback
Quoting Anniea90:

No worries! Please get carried away! I feel more conifident about this new adventure now :)

Quoting JenniferW67:

This is the last one that I'll post. I'm getting a little carried away. lol But, this is really good and cheap to make considering how much it makes.

Mariana Pasta Sauce Vegetarian

3 -4 tablespoons olive oil (I use enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of my pot)
1 large onion, chopped
4 -6 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste, the more the better I use 6 extra large cloves)
1 tablespoon dried basil (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to taste)
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (can use two cans for a thicker richer sauce if desired)
1 (28 ounce) can whole roma tomatoes, undrained (break up with a fork before cooking, go ahead and use two cans if desired!)
1/3-1/2 cup dry red wine (you may omit if desired but good to add in, can use white wine)
2 teaspoons sugar (optional or to taste)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, a good tomato sauce needs lots so don't be shy with the salt)
fresh ground black pepper (to taste)

Directions:

In a heavy-bottomed stockpot or Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add in onions, garlic and dried red pepper flakes, basil and oregano; saute for about 3-4 minutes.
Add in the tomato paste and stir for 2-3 minutes.
Add in the Roma tomatoes with juice and wine; simmer uncovered over low heat for 1-2 hours (I usually cook it for at least a couple of hours) stirring occasionally.
Season with salt and pepper and add in sugar if desired.
**NOTE** if you prefer a thinner sauce, then add in some water.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-marinara-pasta-sauce-vegetarian-136292?oc=linkback

nomadbrat83
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Bump for recipe ideas later
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Evenstar.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Vegetable soup/minestrone

Onion
Carrot
Cabbage
A medium or large can of whole tomatoes, chopped
one can of kidney beans
Zucchini
1/4 cup small shell pasta

Cook onion until tender add carrots, cabbage, tomatoes and beans. You can use water for the broth and season well, or veggie broth or half water half broth, I just put in as much as I need to cover all the veggies plus a little more. I season with garlic, salt, basil and a little black pepper.
Bring to a hard boil then add the pasta and cook for 15 min or until pasta and veggies are done, then add the zucchini and cook until it is soft, about 5 min.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN