Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How I spent Amazon E gift certificate A little sneaky

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 19 Replies

Someone sent me a e gift certificat to Amazon for 100$ on Christmas.  There wasn't much there I wanted. Well it was for dh and I.  So I knew I had to get work shoes. Work reimburses me for them up to 85$.  So I order up the shoes.  Then took the paperwork to work yesterday.  They will reimburse me. So now when the cash gets deposited in our account.  I can give dh 50$ to do with as he chooses.  He didn't want nothing from Amazon either.  A small amount of the certificate.  I did buy the cats some toy. It was a little sneaky the way I did this.  The email that was my reciept.  It says method of payment gift cerfificate.  Well I hit reply.  Edited it to say method of payment was Credit/Debit Card.   Printed it out.  Then printed out the stuff that said my shoes are slip resistant.  Then turned it in to work.  The girl in HR. looks at it.  Says Ok. That's acceptable for reimbursement.   They didn't know the shoes were technically free.  I figured someone gave me a gift to get something I want.  I will do that  later on. But had a deadline to turn in my paperwork for work shoes each year. 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Doesn't seem overly sneaky.

I love shopping on Amazon for the kids, but there isn't much there I'd want for me. Then again, the normal stuff I want for me is a nice meal out. I hate "stuff" and would be annoyed by a physical item to clutter up my home.

specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I don't think it was sneaky at all.  That gift certificate cost someone.  It's the same as cash.  You worked it well!  =)

Dabberdoo
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Nothing wrong with this at all. Work is going to pay for the shoes no matter what. I don't call this sneaky. I call it smart. You did nothing wrong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sparklebug86
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Maybe you didnt pay out of pocket but you need use "your money" (maybe not cash form) to buy them. They werent exactly free

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I don't think that was sneaky at all.  You used money that you could have spent on something else.  Seems reasonable to me to be reimbursed.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

This is. Had I printed out the reciept as is.  Showing gift certificate.  They'd tell me I got the shoes free.  So no reimbursement.  By editing the reciept.  I got reimbursed for shoes. But still can buy myself something  later on when I get the cash deposited in our checking account. 

BraydensMama163
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Very smart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Be carful. I wouldn't risk my job over $85 by editing a receipt

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

This is. Had I printed out the reciept as is.  Showing gift certificate.  They'd tell me I got the shoes free.  So no reimbursement.  By editing the reciept.  I got reimbursed for shoes. But still can buy myself something  later on when I get the cash deposited in our checking account. 

nomadbrat83
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I agree

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Be carful. I wouldn't risk my job over $85 by editing a receipt

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Evenstar.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM

You can get pretty much anything on Amazon; it was great when we lived overseas and couldn't get the things we were used to at the stores there, we just ordered it from Amazon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)