Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you were to purchase a new tv...

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 24 Replies

What would you look for? What would you spend?

Our tv is going and I only had it for 5 years, but it was a cheap model at the time.  With DH's taxes I guess we are going to get a new TV.  All I really care about is it having a usb port so I can put the pc screen on it and play netflix and stuff.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We just went through this:

look for expected life

check out the warranties and what they cover

we like having a HDMI port so we can hook the tablet or laptop to it to watch movies

we checked out online reviews

we also compared energy use cost

romalove
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I thought my daughter needed a tv and we bought one from Costco in early December.  It was on sale for $189.  It's a Samsung, I think it's 24" flat panel, 1080 dpi, and has the HDMI port.

Turned out she doesn't need it so we are using it instead lol.

matreshka
by Valerie on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I did notice that they do have the yearly expected energy cost listed on the front now (sort of like a new refigerator).  And thaks for reminding me about expected life, I am pretty ripped thatr my tv is dying after 5 years, but I got it very cheap at walmart.

Quoting michiganmom116:

look for expected life

we like having a HDMI port so we can hook the tablet or laptop to it to watch movies

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

We didn't really need a new one, but when we saw a flat screen LCD TV for $99 we didn't want to pass it up.  I quickly did all on the checklist, we decided to purchase an extra warranty, and got a steal!

Quoting matreshka:

I did notice that they do have the yearly expected energy cost listed on the front now (sort of like a new refigerator).  And thaks for reminding me about expected life, I am pretty ripped thatr my tv is dying after 5 years, but I got it very cheap at walmart.

Quoting michiganmom116:

look for expected life

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

we just got a new tv last year, we got a 3D vizio tv, we did tons of research on it and decided to go with a passive 3D tv.  We spent $750 on a bundle and got 4 pairs of the 3D glasses, the tv of course and a vizio 3D bluray player.  Its just an LCD but the picture is so clear i don't even care that its a little fatter that other tvs

pixiemg1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I plan on getting a new one here for our living room but really havent started the research on them.  I am looking at either a 42" or 46" but not sure on the brand yet.  I already have a blueray that is hooked up to the internet so having that capability is not necessary.  

nmaxwell816
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I'm not in the market right now

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Can the new flat panel TVs not be fixed?  We have an old, big box TV.  About five years ago it stopped working so we called a repai man out and he fixed it for $200.  It was a good 10 years old at the time.  It has worked just fine since then and it was much cheaper to just have it fixed than to buy a new one.  But maybe the newer ones can't just be repaired?

matreshka
by Valerie on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

If its going to cost anywhere around 200 to be fixed its worth it for us to get a new tv since the models we are looking at are about 300 and have usb ports for the pc plus better screens and hi-def.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Can the new flat panel TVs not be fixed?  We have an old, big box TV.  About five years ago it stopped working so we called a repai man out and he fixed it for $200.  It was a good 10 years old at the time.  It has worked just fine since then and it was much cheaper to just have it fixed than to buy a new one.  But maybe the newer ones can't just be repaired?

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I am looking for advice here. I plan on upgrading to a flat screen this year. One year I used my taxes to get flat screens in the bedrooms, now I plan on upgrading the living room tv. I am a little nervous, just like I was when we switched to flat screens in the bedrooms. The regular tvs are so indestructible, flat screens are so light and flimsy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)