Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

If you were to purchase a new tv...

Posted by   + Show Post

What would you look for? What would you spend?

Our tv is going and I only had it for 5 years, but it was a cheap model at the time.  With DH's taxes I guess we are going to get a new TV.  All I really care about is it having a usb port so I can put the pc screen on it and play netflix and stuff.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I know, i was shocked that my flat screen is already going out but I got a cheap one 5 years ago.  I have read many good tips on this thread so far and plan on doing a lot of research. I don't want to replace another one for a long time to come.

Quoting diaperstodating:

I am looking for advice here. I plan on upgrading to a flat screen this year. One year I used my taxes to get flat screens in the bedrooms, now I plan on upgrading the living room tv. I am a little nervous, just like I was when we switched to flat screens in the bedrooms. The regular tvs are so indestructible, flat screens are so light and flimsy.

specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM

We recently bought a new tv.  But, our prerequisites were pretty technical.  We are avid movie buffs.  So, that was the main point in our research.  We bought a 47" LG 3D LED flatscreen tv.  It does 2D up-conversion (meaning it can turn regular tv and regular dvds into 3D if you want to) and uses the same type of 3D glasses you wear at the movies, instead of the battery operated "flicker-type" glasses that are known to give people headaches.

DF did all the research and went with this one.  He got it for $700 at Best Buy, which was an excellent deal.  

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM

We got ours as a steal!  I went to use the restrooms at Walmart once a couple weeks after Christmas a couple years ago and they had some tvs out of box on sale for cheap where they do layaways.

We bought one and it turned out the hdmi connection in the back was broken, BUT it was covered by warranty so we contacted Samsung and they sent someone out for free and fixed it and never had problems since. I think it was $400-500 for a 50 inch flat screen, it's been a couple of years so I am not certain.

sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM

50 some inch flatscreen HD tv.

a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM
I look at warranty, size, HDMI, ports, cost
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marz31
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

The last TV we bought is a Sony Bravia 3D and while we don't even want to buy the 3D glasses (they aren't the ones you get at the theatre, unfortunately!), the picture on regular stuff is that much better on the 3D TVs. we got a floor model for a REAAAAALLY great price and it's almost exactly what DH wanted. it's in his office and hooked up to his computer, a third monitor, so he can drag over videos for DD and he also got a TV Tuner card for his computer, so he can watch regular TV in there too. I don't know how to use it, but I guess it's pretty slick. It's the only TV we've ever paid for installation on because we wanted it on the wall and it's perfect! 

And if you happen to get a floor model at a store like Best Buy, see about the extended warranty because that can make it a HUGE Value for a great price. We negotiated quite a bit for the TV I mentioned (ok, the other two TVs we bought 5 years ago too for that matter) so unless it's a store like Costco where there's really no sales people....talk to them, and get the best deal you can. there are larger margin items you might want that they can give you a nice discount on (TVs are basically no margin, but the mounts? HUGE margins!)

MamaFrankie
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I still have my tv from 1996 .....LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Yep, this is what we are looking at plus "screen hours" or something along the lines of that that tells the actual life of the tv.  Mine is a really cheap one from walmart I got in 2007 or8 and its dying ALREADY! I like the new tv's but they don't seem to have the durability of the old school ones.

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

I look at warranty, size, HDMI, ports, cost

mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I'm getting a smart TV 46" 120 Hz 1080p.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sucker4myloves
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM

If it were up to me, we'd still have an old boob tube. Before my husband and I got married, he already had a 42 inch sanyo plasma screen HDTV, which is what we still have. He wants a 52 inch LED (I think? Is that the one with better picture but more energy efficient? I always confuse them), of course it has to be HD and he wants more than 2 HDMI ports in the back. I hear all that and whimper at the cost. But I must admit, I have become used to being able to hook the laptop up to it via the HDMI port, so I can play my games on the big screen or put my son's favorite shows on.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN