Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Make your own seed tapes - for frugalista gardens!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 14 Replies

from http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/best-seed-tape-ever

It’s difficult to space tiny seeds, such as carrots, in the garden. The best way to solve this problem is to make homemade seed tape. Here’s how to do it:

1. Unroll a strip of toilet paper on a table (double ply works best), mist it with a sprayer, and place the seeds along the center of the strip. Be sure to space the seeds based on the seed packet’s recommendation. Tip: Alternate carrot seeds with radish seeds because when the radishes sprout, they help to mark the row and break the ground.

2. Starting along the strip’s long edge, fold a third of the paper over the seeds, then fold the other third over to cover the seeds completely. Lightly tamp the paper, misting it again to secure the seeds. Make as many of these strips as you need. Then carefully carry them to the garden.

3. Make shallow furrows in the prepared soil, lay the strips down, and cover them. In a jiffy, your small seeds will be planted and perfectly spaced.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I've done this before!  Works great!

lnk8522
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

ugh, i hate living in an apartment!

i miss my gardens!

thats a great idea, ive never heard of it before

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Bump

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Neat. TFS.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sparkyco2
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM

i have heard of this before but never tried it, i think this year i will try it for sure.... THANKS!

i do however have a question..... have you or anyone else tried the carrot/radish idea???????

i am wondering if it really works??????  we always seem to loose our row of carrots even if we mark them. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Quoting sparkyco2:

i have heard of this before but never tried it, i think this year i will try it for sure.... THANKS!

i do however have a question..... have you or anyone else tried the carrot/radish idea???????

i am wondering if it really works??????  we always seem to loose our row of carrots even if we mark them. 

Carrot/radish interplanting works very nicely!  The radishes are ready long before the carrots are ready.  We've done it but I don't usually do it now, just because I don't like radishes.  I found out the kids and DH do, though...I may plant some this year.

sparkyco2
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

wow great thanks i am definitely going to do this in the spring, right now we have snow on the ground.... UGH! 

thanks for the quick reply...... have a great week/weekend.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Very cool, I would have never thought of this.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you have space on window sills or a porch to do garden boxes? That's what we do in our apt.

Quoting lnk8522:

ugh, i hate living in an apartment!

i miss my gardens!

thats a great idea, ive never heard of it before

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN