Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Has anyone ever/....

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ground your own flour from grains?

is it worth it by the time you buy the mill and buy or grow the grains?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I was tempted at one time.  I was the accountant for the 3 Pillsbury/ADM milling flour mills in Minniapolis.  So, I had access to all the wheat grain I could ever want.  But, I was newly divorced and didn't have it in my budget to by a grain mill.  Here's one on Amazon that I found.  Grain mill.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Bump

lnk8522
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM

im getting more and more tempted/. i would have to get a manual crank one $30-$50ish, caue 240 is WWAAYY out of my budget right now.

Quoting specialwingz:

I was tempted at one time.  I was the accountant for the 3 Pillsbury/ADM milling flour mills in Minniapolis.  So, I had access to all the wheat grain I could ever want.  But, I was newly divorced and didn't have it in my budget to by a grain mill.  Here's one on Amazon that I found.  Grain mill.

specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Your question made me check to see if there is an attachment for my Kitchenaid stand mixer.  And there is!!!!  Just may be getting that!

Quoting lnk8522:

im getting more and more tempted/. i would have to get a manual crank one $30-$50ish, caue 240 is WWAAYY out of my budget right now.

Quoting specialwingz:

lnk8522
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM
yea,i saw one on craigslist for 90, but i don't have a mixer, so it sucks! lol

Quoting specialwingz:

Your question made me check to see if there is an attachment for my Kitchenaid stand mixer.  And there is!!!!  Just may be getting that!

Quoting lnk8522:

Quoting specialwingz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM

My cousin does it.  She gets the 50 pound bags of grain from a food co-op or something like that.  She grinds spelt and millet for the most part with a hand grinder.

I looked into it a few years ago but then we changed our way of eating so I'm glad I didn't invest in a grain mill.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM

No, For me that would be too time consuming.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)