Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Has anyone counted up total grocery bill for the year?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 14 Replies

I been doing it the last few years.  Over the years. I've spent more and more.   Of course the totals do include some monthly bus passes to get to work.   Bus passes I cannot do anything about. County Transit  sets the price for bus fare.  At the current a bus pass for unlimited monthly rides is 65$. It does not include how many times we at out or ordered in.   I consider myself a fairly frugal shopper.  I shop the sales,coupons, buy generics and hit the discount grocery stores.  So I thought I was doing all the right things.  Then see how much more I spent than last year.  I got to attempt to cut the food bill down this year.   Since the new year started.  I already spent about 200$ on food and household.  But I'm set for almost rest of the month now.  Other than milk, eggs, fresh fruit and dh's  yogurt. 

Cutting the food budget might be very possible.  If by summer.  I can have a full load of non parishibles canned goods etc. and my freezer full of meat, frozen veggies etc.  If I don't get picked to work summer. As we have to sign up for summer work. Only some of us are needed during summer for work.  It is a goal to be loaded full of food.  So it's only run out for a few parishibles now and then as they run out. Milk, eggs etc.  I might have to go back to my monthly menu planning. I did that for a while.  Seeing that menu on the fridge.  Helped me stick to the menu.  Using up things we had on hand.  Not saying I have a taste for this or that.  Then running out and buying it if we didn't already have it on hand.  Or start adding some meatless meals in more often.    It was July 2012 when it began to be just 2 I cook for. That's when our son moved out.  Maybe on the weekend I will start writing out a menu for the rest of this month on into February.  Based on what I have on hand.  Or I might do some heavy duty cooking.  Make meals that I can freeze.  I was thinking like a big pot of chili, then maybe some other soups or casseroles that will freeze well.  This week we are eating a mess of leftovers. That will take me up to Thursday maybe Friday.

3306.95$    2009

3526.16$    2010   219.26$ more than 2009

4178.41$    2011   652.25$ more than 2010

5190.16$    2012  1011.75$ more than 2011

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

It's hard to do because these days grocery stores have more than just food in them. Also my husband, kids and I all buy groceries when we want to. Years ago I had a credit card (I paid off each month) that would categorize what you bought at the end of the year. That was interesting but not entirely accurate.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM

No, I haven't kept track. 

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Me was saving all the grocery store receipts for the year.   I sat down this evening and totalled them all up.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I spend 300 a month. I budget that amount and that's it. We have to get creative sometimes but that's it. (Family of 3) I also spend probably 200 a month on pizza/eating out/frozen yogurt/ etc... that's where I cut back when needed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM
No, I haven't
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM

No, I havent. But it is really hard to cut the amount you spend a yr. Food prices go up, so you end up buying less and still spending the same amount or in some cases still spending more. 

I know I have been watching our power bill, and even though we have used less, we are still paying more than we did last yr because price went up. 

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Yep, I categorize all spending in excel and groceries was $5873 for a family of 5.

To be fair, that includes all holiday, cakes, and party food - 3 kids birthday parties feeding 20+ people, I make all the cakes and desserts for both sides of our families birthdays, and every Christmas I make about $150 worth of desserts and treats. 

It's better than I thought it would be, but I still think I have slight room for improvement. 

BTW freezing meals can definitely save you a ton, if you have room for it. I hate breading chicken/chicken tenders so when I DO, I do it 5 pounds at a time. I almost always double soup or chili. Meatballs, meatloaves. 

my4boys2002
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I don't want to see those numbers my usual monthly food budget is 1,200 I need to cut that in half this year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmp
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I keep all my receipts for the same purpose of adding it all up and seeign how much I spent.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Me was saving all the grocery store receipts for the year.   I sat down this evening and totalled them all up.

Do you count just food items or do you include paper products, personal care items, pet food, etc.?

I may try this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)