Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what are your tricks?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hi ladies I have a family of 6 , 5 of which are little girls any input on how you save every month what are the tricks. what is the best way to learn to coupon is there online help or classes. what things do you make homemade, is buying meat straight from a butcher in bulk really a deal? any input is much appreciated.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JakeandEmmasMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

In my town, my local butcher locker packs are not really cheaper than stocking up and buying the meat from my cheapest store when it goes on sale.

Homemade laundry detergents and cleaners is a huge money saver, and they work well.

For couponing for beginners, I really recommend the training videos on couponmom.com.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Food:  I don't use coupons because I buy mostly whole foods -- basic dairy, eggs, meats, veggies, fruits -- and coupons for those are rare.  I save money by meal planning to make the best use of those foods, by shopping at a discount store (Amish-owned), buying spices in bulk at the same store, making many things from scratch (sauces, salad dressings, bread & bread products, snacks, yogurt), growing a garden and preserving the produce, and buying meat in bulk...not necessarily bundles.  I buy a whole cow from the farmer and it IS cheaper than buying the equivalent in the store.  I buy a whole hog for the same reason.  We also raise our own chickens for the freezer, something not everyone can do.

Household:  I've made my own laundry detergent.  I use basic dishsoap, vinegar, baking soda and hot water to clean.

Utilities:  Everything that doesn't NEED to be plugged in is unplugged.  I use natural light when practical instead of turning on the lights.  Keep the refrigerator coils clean.  We also heat with wood; but again, not everyone can do that.

Clothing:  your girls are the right ages apart to be passing down clothes to the next girl.  I shop thrift stores first for most of our clothes, then head to the clearance racks at stores.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Along with making my own laundry soap, I also line dry when possible and use cold water wash for everything but whites and things that need sanitizing like bedding or towels used by a sickie.

ziff130
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I don't coupon but I meal plan based on the sales. Couponing takes up too much time for me. However, some ppl get stores to pay them so I think it's worth it if you have the time. I use a lot of BOGOs for my meal planning. It saves a lot. I cook a lot of things from scratch as well... Yogurt, breads, granola bars, dehydrated fruits. When fruit is in season look out for unpick places. You can get large amounts for cheaper prices and can them or dehydrate them for later. 

I also make my own reusable feminine napkins and a DIVA cup for my periods. For 16 pads and 1 diva cup I spent about $32 and that was four years ago. Definitely made up for its initial price.

Clothing always comes from thrift stores. I actually have a monthly budget just for thrift stores. It's $30 and I go weekly to see if there is anything that can be up cycled or any clothing or things like that we may need.

I also make our own cleaners, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, soaps, lotions, and shampoos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)