Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lentils!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 14 Replies

I just "discovered" lentils this past weekend.  I would like to incorporate them regularly into our diet.  How do you incorporate lentils?  Do you have any favorite lentil recipes?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JohnnyCakes
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I've only ever used green lentils. I use them in soup (kielbasa lentil), italian lentil salad, or lentil hummus. :) 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I won't touch lentils anymore, but I do have some good recipes!  brb

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Ranch Lentils

• 2 c. dry lentils
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 5 cups water, divided
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 1 c. ketchup
  • 1 tsp. prepared mustard
  • 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. black pepper

Wash and drain lentils. In a saucepan add lentils, salt (optional) and 4 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the lentils are tender. In a skillet, cook beef or turkey and garlic until meat is browned; drain. Stir in soup mix, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, pepper and remaining water. Gently stir in lentils. Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish. Bake, covered, at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes.

michiganmom116
1 mom liked this

Vegetarian Meatloaf

Add salt to water and bring to a boil. Add lentils and cook until very soft and most of the water is gone. Drain and partially mash lentils. Scrape into a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add onion, oats, and cheese and mix. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. Spoon into a loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray. Smooth top with the back of the spoon. Bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes, until top of loaf is dry, firm, and slightly golden brown. Cool on rack for 10 minutes. Loosen loaf by inserting and running a knife along the sides between the loaf and the pan. Turn out loaf onto serving platter. Top with more sauce if desired.

michiganmom116

Lentil vegetable stew

• 3/4 c. 1/8-inch carrot slices (about 1 large carrot)
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 c. hot water
  • 1 16 oz. can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 4 oz. can mushroom pieces
  • 3/4 c. uncooked dry lentils
  • 1/2 c. sliced celery
  • 2 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. or 1 cube instant beef boullion
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 c. hot water

Add carrot, onion, and garlic to a casserole dish with a little water. Cover loosely and microwave on high for 4 minutes; break up and stir. Cover and microwave 3 to 4 minutes longer.

Stir in 2 cups hot water, stewed tomatoes (with liquid), mushrooms (with liquid) and remaining ingredients except 1 cup water. Cover tightly and microwave on high stirring every 6 minutes, until vegetables are tender, 24 to 28 minutes.

Stir in 1 cup hot water. Serve with crusty French bread if desired.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Lentil Confetti Salad:

• 1 c. cooked lentils
  • 1 c. cooked white or brown rice
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1 carrot, sliced, diced or grated
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • Italian dressing to taste (I use my own recipe from July 2009 post)

Cool lentils & rice. Add rest of ingredients. Chill before serving.

Babujai
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I tried to add them to our diet, but my husband hated them, and the kids weren't wild about them either.  I tried to make it a side dish though.  I'm thinking I'll try again and just add them to soups and stews.

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Thank you so much for the recipes!  They all look really good.

Is there a reason you won't touch them anymore?  Is there something I should know about them?

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Quoting Babujai:

I tried to add them to our diet, but my husband hated them, and the kids weren't wild about them either.  I tried to make it a side dish though.  I'm thinking I'll try again and just add them to soups and stews.

We had gotten this pack of pre-cooked and seasoned lentils from Costco.  At first my DH wasn't all that thrilled about it, but after I made some rice and mixed it with the lentils, he was really surprised at how good it was.  It was really fragrant and hearty, and it filled us up quickly.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Thank you so much for the recipes!  They all look really good.

Is there a reason you won't touch them anymore?  Is there something I should know about them?

1.  They contain phytic acid, which binds to minerals (calcium, zinc, copper, iron, etc.) so that our bodies can't absorb them.  We all have enough trouble getting necessary minerals; why add to the problem?

2.  They carry a significant carb load for the relatively small amount of nutrition that they have. 

3.  I'd rather eat foods that are nutrient dense i.e. have a significant amount of nutrition for the calories they contain.

For us personally, these are important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)