Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cost of Convenience

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

This is fourteen pages long, but a GREAT read with great visuals!  Click on the link for the full publication.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/pub__8822711.pdf

The Cost of Convenience
by Diana Sagers, Lee Sherry, Kris Saunders, Georgia Lauritzen, Eileen Milligan

Making wise food choices is particularly important for families on limited incomes. Today’s
supermarket has thousands of foods to choose from. Penny-wise shoppers consider many factors when selecting groceries.
While the deciding factor could and perhaps should be nutrition, more often it is price and
convenience. Higher prices do not mean extra nutrition. Today’s cook often juggles home, family and work responsibilities. After working all day, the cook may be tired, and pressed for time. Convenience is important.
Generally scratch cooking is less expensive, tastes better and is more nutritious than fast foods or convenience foods. However, it usually takes longer to prepare. The trade-off for convenience is usually money. Frequent meals of fast foods and restaurant fare can raise havoc with a food budget. A less expensive alternative to fast foods would be convenience foods available at grocery stores. How much more does convenience cost than food prepared from scratch?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimberlync
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome! Thank you for sharing! I could only skim through it, but I saved it to my computer. I plan on reading the entire publication later this evening!

matreshka
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM
I will read the article later but this disband topic that always comes up on conversations. Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nmaxwell816
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Tfs
nmaxwell816
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Tfs
diaperstodating
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Thank you for sharing
Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Thanks! I was just thinkin about this the other day :)

bookworm14
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I will have to follow up when I'm not on mobile, thanks :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WandaSue
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Thank you for sharing!

AiW
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM
That was an interesting article. Was that a recent publication? The reason I ask, were some of the portions small? I know we probably over-do our portion sizes, but 8 oz of meat in a stir-fry recipe to serve 6 seemed rather small (2-3 oz per person seemed more reasonable). What do you consider reasonable serving sizes for ground beef or poultry? I thought it was 3 oz.
JenieceMojica
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Bump for later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)