Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Boxed vs Homemade? **Update**

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 64 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am curious about opinions on Macaroni and Cheese...Boxed vs. Homemade.
My kids love Mac n cheese. I normally purchase the Great Value 'thick and creamy' version. It is around. $0.74 a box. I usually use 2 boxes. So not including milk and butter..it is $1.48.
I have recently been considering the nutrition value of the boxed over the homemade..even though I know the homemade is probably going to cost more. I am figuring in the long run that it is less sodium, less processed food etc to make it homemade.
Ok I am off to add up how much the boxed would cost with the milk and butter included and to add up the homemade version.

So...
Boxed vs. Homemade... thoughts?

Ok. Tonight was mac n cheese night. I mentally prepared the kids for the switch yesterday and today. My son (7) is odd about changes so I was mostly preparing him for it to be different. My middle child(5),(my oldest daughter) is my adventurous eater and couldn't wait to help me try the new recipe.
My oldest (7) absolutely loved it! He is on his second bowl. My youngest (2) inhaled it with no complaint. My middles child...(sigh) wouldn't try more than 3 bites. It is a little frustrating that she didn't like it. She is my eater who will eat almost anything. She said it looked funny and she could taste the cheese(haha) and flour.
She is right about the flour, I will cut it back next time. Also I made two cups of pasta because we usually make two boxes of mac n cheese...next time I am making 1 cup of pasta. It made a lot more than I expected and it filled everyone up faster.
The recipe does need fiddled with a little bit, but all in all I consider it a success! Woohoo! Now to get it just right so I can commit it to memory. :)
Thanks for all the comments and opinions.
We are officially on the homemade side of the fence on the Boxed vs. Homemade macaroni and cheese debate. ;)
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM
3 moms liked this
Homemade, I have issues with florescent orange powdered cheese.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suroundedbyboys
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I make homemade sometimes, but 1 of our 3 children is a picky eater and won't touch homemade. I really like homemade, hubs doesn't, so its a toss up sometimes homemade, sometimes boxed.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Homemade will be more expensive, definitely....but in my experience with the recipe I used, we got a lot more mac & cheese than we could get from 3 or even 4 boxes of mac & cheese.
a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM

We eat it maybe 2x a year and it is usually Annie's organic

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I've never considered NOT making homemade. I babysat some kids when I was 11 and made homemade mac-n-cheese because my little brain couldn't figure out how orange powder became cheese. The parents got mad because their kids never wanted boxed again! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I dont make it homemade often but it is way better! Dd only gets easy Mac on occasion. She doesn't muche for the boxed much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok..I did the math and read a couple articles about the nutrition values... we are switching to making homemade. The homemade will make more and does not cost that much more to make.
Definitely switching! :)
polkaspots
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I buy pasta in bulk when it's on sale and I only make home mad Mac and cheese because I'm the only one that eats it. Bell just sucks the cheese off, my husband doesn't like it, and Dman is too little for such a messy food. I make my own because I like mixing different cheeses together. Mozzarella and cheddar are the two most common because the store around the block always has fresh cheap blocks of the stuff.
soontobemommie3
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Homemade. We don't eat Mac n cheese much though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rwebb11
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM
What is your recipe?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Homemade will be more expensive, definitely....but in my experience with the recipe I used, we got a lot more mac & cheese than we could get from 3 or even 4 boxes of mac & cheese.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)