Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Fair Budget | How do you do it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am currently reading Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and am ready for change.

My husband seems to care less.He has been buying what he wants when he wants it. In the past when we first started out and managed money well he felt like he went without while the kids and I didn't.  When I needed something we discussed it and usually purchased it (shoes, clothes) and usually one Want that I had per year he would buy me around xmas or my birthday. When he needed something it wasn't even a discussion he just always said "we dont' have the money" even now....he neeeds to see the dentist but refuses. He will throw money out the window on tools, hunting stuff, etc but refuses to spend money on his health.

I'm not sure if we will ever get on the same page.

I tried asking him if he would sit down and figure out something that works for all of us and he kept saying "I'll just go without" with attitude in his voice. And I would say that we needed to find something that works for all of us and he would just keep saying he would go without and that we have never budgeted our money well without him going without so its not going to happen.He reminded me of  a litle kid having a stubborn fit because he felt he can't buy every little trinket he wants.

How do you manage/budget your money in a fair way?

We are a family of four living on his $30,000/ yr income with a house payment, ATV payment (which we bought to make hubby happy since he HATES living in town, the only place in this area we could find a hosue we could afford), utility bills and a credit card bill that we used to pay every month that is almost maxed at $2,000 that we can't pay off every month now.

I was thinking maybe taking out X amt a week for each of us as allowance, we can choose to do what we want with that money. We would not be allowed to spend it on a need, only a want and if we want something that costs more we will just have to save that allowance each week.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Replies (11-11):
spcmom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Call into Daves show with your husband, explain the problem, then let Dave set him straight! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)