Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

***UPDATE*** My husband is doing the grocery shopping *shudder*

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM
  • 40 Replies

DH and I had a bit of an argument a few weeks ago because he works at Store A and I shop at Store B (because it's cheaper than Store A).  DH gets a 10% discount at his store, but only on meat and store brand items.  I prefer name brand for most items so I asked him since he's at the store, in the meat department, why didn't he buy the meat with his discount then.  Well he got all huffy and whatever...but then the following weekend when he got paid he brought home meat. Yay!  Then he did it again the following weekend. Yay...except now he's bought 4 weeks worth of meat in 2 weeks, but whatever.  I wasn't going to complain.

This week he decided, since we don't need anymore meat, he'll do "other" grocery shopping.  He made a list and asked me for coupons...but I'm still nervous!  I don't know how much he'll spend or what (which brands) he'll bring home.  I'm trying not to let him see how little faith I have in his shopping ability but it's really freaking me out.

Do you trust your DH/SO to shop for groceries?

UPDATE: He did pretty good.  There were a few questionable brands and items, but he managed to use a few coupons and caught some sale items.  All in all...not too shabby.

simple smile And yes, I made sure to tell him he did a good job.  He could tell I was nervous about it even though I didn't say so.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I trust my DH to shop for groceries ONLY IF he has a very detailed list with specific brands, amounts, weights, etc. and price. He does pretty good!
MayMommy07
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM
I work two jobs now so my DH went for the first time a few weeks back....he did pretty good. I was a little nervous. Maybe a budget or a little list
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I do I do my husband has good taste an knows what brands we do an dont use here lol.  Luckly he doesnt like off brands no need to worry that he will bring gross stuff home unless you count his nasty spicey doritos(sp) lol. those thing stick something bad lol

ksueditz
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I trust my DH to shop for groceries ONLY IF he has a very detailed list with specific brands, amounts, weights, etc. and price. He does pretty good!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flowrsgalore
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

No.  Dh buys whatever his heart desires at the grocery store. When I look at the receipt after I end up irritated.  He can only do very short lists that seems to be ok, but I have to be prepared for extra stuff I didn't want. So yeah I'd be nervous too.

alf2651
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

My DH is pretty good with grocery shopping. He knows what we use and as long as I give him a list, he does all right at the store.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

MonarchMom22
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Hubby does the shopping at least half the time.  Some things I would buy, some I wouldn't but I don't stress.  It will all get used, and I'd rather have the help than the control.  We can only learn by doing, so over time you get better at the things you can practice.

If you think you need to give more guidance, why not try making a meal plan for the week and then list the items you will need to buy to complete the meals.  That way he knows what and why you have it on the list and how much money is left over for "impulse" buys. 

As to brand names, there are only a few items that I find certain brands superior and I stock up when they are on sale.  The rest of my shopping is on-sale items and fresh produce.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

DH does a great job grocery shopping, but he always buys grapes.  ALWAYS.  If he sets foot in the store, he buys grapes.

It started at a joke.  I wrote him a list, he swore he'd remember.  But he forgot, took a shot in the dark, and bought grapes.  What I had asked for was wine to cook with!

I got on him real good, and would remind him every time he went to the store to buy grapes.  But I guess it got ingrained into his brain, b/c the grapes keep coming.

tiredmomfor2
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM
My husband is good at quick trips and at picking out meat (like when we stock up). He is also a great cook and will go and get what we need if something is missing to make some of his recipes. But as far as the 'big haul' shopping every couple weeks that requires two carts...um no. I am not sure he would know what all to get or the amount of things.
I am sure if I wrote down a detailed list with regular prices and such he would do just fine.
paytonleximomma
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I trust my hubby with alot just not the grocery shopping.  If I gave him a list it might not be so back but he would buy stuff that isnt on their as well.  I am a couponing nut and penny pinching nut when it comes to grocery shopping. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN