Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you stay within your grocery budget?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM
  • 19 Replies
I figured it might be fun to share our little tips for staying on budget with the grocery shopping.
Feel free to post your tips, ideas and questions below. :)
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ziff130
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Sales and coupons. I build my menu around the sale items

And coupons I can find.

tiredmomfor2
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM
To keep us on budget during our big biweekly shopping trip. When I make the list I put the price (usually rounded up to he next dollar) of how much each item should cost or the amount that I have allotted for stocking up and to make certain purchase (like items that we don't normally purchase like towels, storage boxes etc.)
Before I go I add it all up and make sure it is not over my budget..if it is then the whole list gets reworked. Once it all come to a good amount we are good to go. :)
It is also nice to use as a guide while I am in the store to know how much I can spend on a certain item. Especially if that item is on sale..I go ahead and buy up to the amount I had listed.

Oh and one more tip. It the amount at the grocery store ends up being less than the amount that was budgeted for that pay period..then I go a head and pull the rest out in cash. I have a place I keep it for unexpected purchases and when it accumulates we will go out every so often and stock up on certain items. Like: meats and pantry staples. (Flour, sugar, rice etc.)
ziff130
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I aLso make mixes (pancake, biscuit, cornbread...etc) and bread from scratch.

Babujai
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Instead of just crossing out things on my list, as I shop I put the price of the item next to it, rounded up to the nearest dollar.  I get absolute needs first, add up the money and determine if I can get wants.  Then when I get to the register between my rounding and my coupons I usually don't spend nearly as much as I thought.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I keep a price spreadsheet for items that I usually buy and their prices at the various stores.  When I make out a shopping list, I've got a very close idea of what my final bill will be.

michiganmom116

I plan meals to stay within my budget.  If a certain meal will require that I need to buy several ingredients, I will sub another meal until I can gradually get those ingredients.  I've got certain meals priced out....taco salad costs a little more than tacos but less than lasagna, for instance.

michiganmom116

I stay away from premade meals.  I cook from scratch, mostly whole foods.  I don't pay for the convenience of having a manufacturer make food items for me very often. 

michiganmom116

I grow a garden in the summer and preserve what we don't eat fresh.  I can green beans, applesauce, grape juice, vegetable juice, pickles, relishes, zucchini pineapple, pickled beets, apple butter, and tomatoes.  I freeze corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, squash, apple cider, jams, strawberries and blueberries.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I stock up when I see good prices.  Sometimes my favorite store will have coconut milk for 35 cents a can, and I'll grab 10 to 12 cans of it at that price.  I buy bulk spices...much cheaper than buying the little jars or tins.  I buy/raise meat and poultry in bulk (buy a whole beef and pork, raise 100 chickens) to stock the freezers every year.  Those costs are far less than what I'd pay in a store.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM

We drink water, tea, coffee, and veggie juice, along with any home-canned juice.  No sodas, milk is for cooking/baking/granddaughter only.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN