Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Paying cash for furniture?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 11 Replies

Can you get a discount for paying cash?   What percent off do you think?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommynwife26
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM
I paid for my bed frame in cash, they gave me 10% off. But my moms paid for all her furniture in cash and she rarley gets a discount. I think if you bring it up before hand they might do it. Just have to ask.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Sadly, it is becoming more and more difficult to "talk" with cold hard cash.  Everyone wants the interest from the financing.  I remember the days when an establishment preferred instant cash over drawn out payments.

A couple years ago, I was shopping for a boat.  I told the guy I would be paying for it in cash.  He told me that meant nothing because they get kickbacks from the finance companies for pushing the financing.  

Such a sad state of affairs for our economy, when hard earned "green" doesn't mean as much as a piece of plastic. =/

But, that having been said, one never knows until they ask.  The worst they can say is "no".

eesmommy
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Yea, they gave us a discount for paying cash for our couch and loveseat, it was a set that came with a chair which we didn't want so they offered a motorized. Af for DS :-) which was awesome :-)
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I bet if you shop around you can still find places that will give a discount for cash. Particularly with the mom and pop type places.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I got a great discount for paying cash on a car.  (We had a considerable amount saved and my parents matched us on loaning us the money so we paid my parents instead of the dealership).

It does't hurt to ask if its a big ticket item.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Ask! Dicker with them! Make them give you a DEAL for paying cash. I do know there is one major furniture store in our area that will give us a discount for paying in cash.
anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Would it be so bad if you got a large discount for taking the "financing" but left the establishment and paid it off on your way home with the cash (before there was time to even accrue interest)?  I guess the key is to ACTUALLY DO IT, though.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Ask. It can't hurt. I know a few years back my husband and I went to buy a mattress set and told the guy we would be paying in cash. He spazzed. Refused to talk to us. We ended up surrounded by two store managers practically begging us to finance. We left and bought the same set at a home show about two weeks later at 30% off because it was the floor model and everyone in town had laid on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonarchMom22
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never asked for a cash discount, but I always just ask for a 15 or 20% discount after they quote the price.  There is alwasy room in furniture deals - and mattresses as well.  After everything else is negotiated, I just say, "well, this is everything I'm looking for, buy my budget is $---- .   I would like to keep my business local with your store. Can you make it work for that? "  

I've never had them turn me down.

a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Never hurts to say, give me 20% off for cash, then talk them down :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)