Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

this seems like a lot to me

Posted by   + Show Post
i was looking at a produce delivery system to try and encourage my family to eat them. the thing is its $25 a week. that seems like a lot to spend on produce. what do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Replies (21-29):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I think that for fresh produce it's a good deal.  However, if it just rots, it's $25 in the trash.  Do you think it would force you to use it if you got it?

sparkyco2
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

OMGosh!!!!!!!!! i so wish they had something like this in our area........ i would sign up in a heartbeat!

I spend $40 to $60 per week on fruit and veggies for our 9 yr old DD, it is so crazy but i try not to complain she could be eating worse things..... i have resorted to buying the fruit when it is on sale so i can dice and freeze it.... i do this in the summer when berries are on sale OR when our strawberries, and raspberries are ready to be picked.....

if anyone knows where i could sign up for something like this for WI i would greatly appreciate it.....

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I do it. It's awesome!!! I have a hard time eating it all, I get so much. It forces me to eat new things, and I spend less at the store because I already have so much at home.

I am in NC and do theproducebox.com.

mommy06and09
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM
i would hope so. the problem is that my family has the out of sight out of mind mentality and our fruits and vegetables go in a drawer in the fridge. its all a matter of me leaving some out where the kids can see them. then i would also have to stop buying snacks. plus i want to make more things that require produce but when i find the recipes i dont have the produce and when i do have the produce i cant find the recipes or i forget to look until the produce has gone bad.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I think that for fresh produce it's a good deal.  However, if it just rots, it's $25 in the trash.  Do you think it would force you to use it if you got it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM

In that case, I would do it on a trial basis and if you don't end up using it, you can just cancel.

I heard a tip at my mom's group the other day about getting your kids to eat more fruits and veggies...The lady giving the talk suggested getting out your muffin tin and filling the little cups with different fruits and vegetables, i.e. baby carrots in one, grapes in another, apple slices sprinkled with fruit fresh in another, sugar snap peas in another, etc. and just leave it out on the kitchen table or counter.  By the end of the day it should be empty!  I'm going to give that a try this week.  It might be a good way for you to use up your produce too!

Quoting mommy06and09:

i would hope so. the problem is that my family has the out of sight out of mind mentality and our fruits and vegetables go in a drawer in the fridge. its all a matter of me leaving some out where the kids can see them. then i would also have to stop buying snacks. plus i want to make more things that require produce but when i find the recipes i dont have the produce and when i do have the produce i cant find the recipes or i forget to look until the produce has gone bad.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I do Full Circle in Alaska and there are different sizes of boxes you can get depending on your family size. $30 for the smallest box etc. you could also change how often you wanted to get a box
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy06and09
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM
thats a great idea! what is fruit fresh and where do i get it?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

In that case, I would do it on a trial basis and if you don't end up using it, you can just cancel.

I heard a tip at my mom's group the other day about getting your kids to eat more fruits and veggies...The lady giving the talk suggested getting out your muffin tin and filling the little cups with different fruits and vegetables, i.e. baby carrots in one, grapes in another, apple slices sprinkled with fruit fresh in another, sugar snap peas in another, etc. and just leave it out on the kitchen table or counter.  By the end of the day it should be empty!  I'm going to give that a try this week.  It might be a good way for you to use up your produce too!

Quoting mommy06and09:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ziff130
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM

It keeps the apples from turning brown and is normally in the canning section.

Quoting mommy06and09:

thats a great idea! what is fruit fresh and where do i get it?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting mommy06and09:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

spcmom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
I love bountiful baskets. I order every othet week, then meal an around what i got. We try things that i would have not puchased in the grocery store. It costs me 15.00 each time.
spcmom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
I love bountiful baskets. I order every othet week, then meal an around what i got. We try things that i would have not puchased in the grocery store. It costs me 15.00 each time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN