Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

fyi on wood burning stoves

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
I put a wood burning stove in and it is awesome. It inserted into the wall and we built a hearth as well. It heats my entire house and is beautiful and romantic and oh so comfortable. I often open the windows during the day because yhe house gets a little too warm.

It cost like 3 grand. But improved the value of my house by way more than that.

It uses very little wood compared to a wood furnace. It will last forever. It is great if the electricity goes out because it still works!!! Saves so much on heating costs and my house is warm warm warm even for babies crawling around on the floor in their birthday suit.

I have no idea what brand mine is but it is a smaller version. My house is 1600 square feet but I think oys a bit pf over kill. I highly recommend putting one in
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Bump

sucker4myloves
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I am soooooo jealous. I've never owned my own home and therefore never had one, but I have fantasized about them :D Do tell all about it please. Is it hard work to have one (besides the obvious of chopping wood)? Is it safe all around?

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I grew up having a wood cookstove, and we have a wood-burning furnace in our house now.  I absolutely love the wood heat!

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I'm jealous! My parents have one and their house is always toasty warm. We have a fireplace but it doesn't seem to give off much heat so we rarely use it.
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM

My parents have one and I always loved tending the fire at home when I would visit.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

We had a wood burning stove in the house as kids.  Dad always had it going.  Then he didn't have to put the furnace on to much.  In the long run saved on oil.  So he didn't have to have the oil man out to deliver oil as often.  It kept the house very toasty warm. 

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM

already have one :)

Gorilla_Mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM
We heat soley with a wood furnace in our basement. We don't even own a traditional furnace!! I love it, cheap and efficient.
heathercm26
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Ok... so when i say stove i dont mean stove lol. I think of this as a fireplace insert. But dh reminds me its a stove all the time. ....whatever. it is safe imo. I watched them put in the chimney and we bought the expensive awesome chimney sheathing. It has no bends in it and doesnt collect any rap that would cause a fire. Of course i was worried that my dd would fall into the glass doors and burn her little face on them because it gets hot. So we built a stone hearth like a little bench in front of it. She camnot accidently touch it.... and is 2 now and really has to reach on tip toes to try to touch the doors. She knows it is hot though and wont anymore. Every so often....like every few weeks i scoop out the ashes. Their is only a few inches for the ashes to sit but you can fit a whole damn tree in it.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

I am soooooo jealous. I've never owned my own home and therefore never had one, but I have fantasized about them :D Do tell all about it please. Is it hard work to have one (besides the obvious of chopping wood)? Is it safe all around?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN