Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

homemade food and weight loss :(

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 14 Replies
Ok..hubby and I decided to switch everyone to a healthier diet ( more fresh veggies, homemade breads, less junk and processed foods, no pop etc.) We are doing it to be healthier and to lose a little weight..the kids change is just to eat healthier. :)
While everyone is feeling better and the budget is a lot better for it..but I haven't lost any weight from the switch. I have been looking online and counting the calories in the whole foods/homemade foods..and the homemade stuff has more calories in it than store bought. :(
I guess I am just going to have to pay closer attention and cut my portions back even more. It is hard to be good when it tastes so good. Lol It is nice knowing even if I haven't lost weight yes, that everyone in the house is eating a lot healthier including me. Yay!
Anyone else have trouble losing weight on a mostly homemade diet?
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any problems losing weight by eating homemade foods.  Portion control IS key, as is cutting sweets (even fruit needs a limit) and adding more veggies.  I have practically eliminated all starches, with only a few potatoes and a little white rice if needed.  We eat real foods (no manufactured food substitute products):  real butter, fresh eggs, red meats, fish, veggies (fresh and frozen), nuts, and only a little fruit.  I don't use sugar, we don't eat grain foods, and we have cut WAY back on our dairy consumption.  The family is healthier, but until they learn to control their portions, they won't lose weight like I do.

I love to make homemade soups.  Soups made with broth vs. cream based are much lower in calories and tend to have more nutrition.

tiredmomfor2
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't have any problems losing weight by eating homemade foods.  Portion control IS key, as is cutting sweets (even fruit needs a limit) and adding more veggies.  I have practically eliminated all starches, with only a few potatoes and a little white rice if needed.  We eat real foods (no manufactured food substitute products):  real butter, fresh eggs, red meats, fish, veggies (fresh and frozen), nuts, and only a little fruit.  I don't use sugar, we don't eat grain foods, and we have cut WAY back on our dairy consumption.  The family is healthier, but until they learn to control their portions, they won't lose weight like I do.

I love to make homemade soups.  Soups made with broth vs. cream based are much lower in calories and tend to have more nutrition.

My problem is probably the carb/grains. I need to cut them back. We also cut the family back in the meat department to the recommended amount per day.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting michiganmom116:

My problem is probably the carb/grains. I need to cut them back. We also cut the family back in the meat department to the recommended amount per day.

Carbs/grains are filler foods.  To me, they just add calories/glucose without a lot of nutritional value.  It IS entirely possible to meet a person's carb requirements with veggies/fruits, some dairy, and everything else we can eat.

ziff130
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I have lost 8.4 lbs and we make our own breads and things from scratch. I use myfitnesspal to count the calories and run 3 miles every morning as well. But, I just watch the amount that I eat. The doctor recommended me at 1300 calories and my BMI is 28%. I dunno if that helps. Good luck!

tiredmomfor2
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM
I started switching some of our recipes to healthier options. (Honey instead of sugar, applesauce instead of oil)
I just need to watch my portions and calories. I also use fitness pal. It is so helpful!

Quoting ziff130:

I have lost 8.4 lbs and we make our own breads and things from scratch. I use myfitnesspal to count the calories and run 3 miles every morning as well. But, I just watch the amount that I eat. The doctor recommended me at 1300 calories and my BMI is 28%. I dunno if that helps. Good luck!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I do this as well.

A lot of low fat foods have more sugar. Sugar is the enemy lol. Empty carbs and starches break down to sugar. The rise and fall in Blood sugar levels causes hunger, blah..tired feeling.

Eliminating carbs and starches makes a big difference. Eating whole, real foods you eat less and stay fuller longer

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Good for you for eating healthier and setting a good example for your kids! You will probably have to just get in the habit of counting calories in order to lose weight and keep it off.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

For me portion control and eating healthy alone does not help lose weight, I also have to do regular exercise, which I haven't since it got cold.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Still, its great that you changed your diet for you and your family.  Everyone will be better off eating homemade.

kmrtigger
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)