Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Make washable pads for Swiffer Wet Jet out of socks

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was looking online for pads for my wet jet. I got the Libman one that has a refillable bottle. So you use any brand of cleaner you like. Mine came with a free washable pad. Then online got a coupon for a second free one.  Them pads are like 7$.  Heck no on that.  I stumbled across this link.  It says how to make washable pads out of socks.  Hmmm. Great idea for all them socks missing the mate.  Or they look a bit to dingy to wear as socks.   This is supposedly a no sew thing.  Even better yet. As my sewing skills are not the greatest.  When the sock pad gets warn out.  You can afford to throw it away.   Heck I could even buy up used socks in the resale or a rummage.  If I wanted.  But do have a pile of socks that don't have the mate. I threw them in a pile.  Figuring the mate would turn up.  I bet you could use the sock pads on the regular swiffer mop. That you use for dusting the floor.  I'm thinking the thicker the sock.  The more cleaning power it will have.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-Washable-Wetjet-replacement-pads-without-s/

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM
socks are a good idea. The method i use involves cutting up old cotton t shirts then soaking them in a mix im on mobile right now so i dont have it on me but the fabric goes right into the slots no sewing. They work well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I just cut old t-shirts into squares, tuck it into the holes on the swiffer, and spray down the floor with my homemade cleaner. Wash and reuse

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My mop does not have holes to stuff anything in. That's why I like the sock idea.  I just made one.  It fits very nice.  Now a neighbor was using old dish towels on her mop. 

Quoting mamabearlehman:

I just cut old t-shirts into squares, tuck it into the holes on the swiffer, and spray down the floor with my homemade cleaner. Wash and reuse

mammapav
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Thanks

MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

That sounds great.  For years I have been holding two baby wipes on it with elastic bands. I also used to cut a small door on the bottom (the top when in use) to refill the container with my own cleaners. I kept it shut with a piece of duct tape.  Told you, I am cheap!

kmrtigger
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I love Pinterest. I have learned a TON of money saving tips on household cleaners and other things.

Look here... a tip on how to refill the swiffer Wetjet bottles...

Are you kidding me! I've just been buying new ones....Dip the tip of an empty Swiffer Wetjet solution bottle into boiling water for about 10 seconds and the lid twists off (use a towel). Refill with your preferred cleaning solution at appropriate dilution! and re-cap. Genius. No need to pay for more fluid... way overpriced. genius

Swift Dust Socks--NO sewing!

Swift Dust Socks is a favorite one I learned on Pinterest.

kmrtigger
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

And if you are handy  with a sewing machine...
Reusable Swiffer dusters!

Reusable Swiffer Dusters. Saves you a ton of money.  And it's greener too.

chrissysnow22
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:05 AM
Cool idea. Thanks for sharing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Brilliant!

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I am so happy I stumbled upon this nifty idea.    I can't believe how they charge for somethings for around house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)