Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spring Break Savings Challenge Day 1: Start a Vacation Fund

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 128 Replies
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Day 1 of the Spring Break Savings Challenge!

Are you planning a summer vacation? Now's the time to plan so you can save as much as possible on your trip! Try renting a home or apartment instead of staying in a hotel. Go camping. Travel in groups. Get local deals. By planning and saving early, you can make your vacation dreams come true for less.

Do you plan to take a vacation this summer?
Where would you love to go if money were no object?
Have you ever started saving ahead of time for a future trip?

One member who signs up for our Spring Break Savings Challenge and replies to all 7 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

Join Our Spring Break Savings Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM

We aren't planning a vacation during the summer, but in September we'd like to go to our nephew's wedding in Wisconsin.  We'll definitely have to save for that trip.

If money/time were no object, I'd love to take what will probably be a last trip to our family's lodge in Canada.

Alieda
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Lannie has vacation in May and again in September we are planning a short trip in both.
If money was to object we would go the the Holy Land ,and then take Jeff to Germany so he could see where dad was station after we had just be married.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IrishMama88
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM

We had originally thought to take a weeklong vacation to Vegas this year, but are going to put it off to save for a family reunion planned for sometime next year (looking at cruise options for this). We'll probably take a staycation this year -- I had planned on only taking half of the week off when my daycare sitter takes her vacation (with DH taking the other half), but if I don't need to save up days for something else, I may just take the whole week instead.  I usually try to save for vacations, but barring that, taking care of paying for things in advance a little at a time (e.g. booking the hotel and prepaying, buying airline tickets months in advance, getting attraction tickets ahead of time, buying gift cards to use during the trip).

If money were no object, we would take a trip to Europe, primarily Italy, but also England and Ireland.  A dream vacation for us!

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Already in the budget. We've been saving for a trip to visit our son's first choice college. Plan to use a discount airline and stay with an airbnb family instead of at a hotel. If we could, we'd love to visit our friends in Italy. Sigh.

e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Not this summer...but sometime in the fall....

Dream vacation...go back to Hawaii for like a month!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

No vacation for us this year.  My husband will be gone for most of the summer, and when he gets back we'll be moving.  I would love to plan a trip to Disney World for next year though.

jujubear1
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Probably no trips this summer.  We usually go camping in the summer though, so maybe something local.

ksueditz
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I'm not big on long car trips, so we're going to take a local vacation. About a 2 hour drive.
If money was no object I would love to visit Ireland.
I save money in my child support account for extras, like back to school, Christmas, and vacations.
goddess99
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Do you plan to take a vacation this summer? Just a couple day trips.
Where would you love to go if money were no object?
Venice.
Have you ever started saving ahead of time for a future trip?
No, we have no trips planned, we are saving for a new vehicle instead.

endurablemist
by Crystal on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
We camp in state parks, I already paid for this year, and in a few months I will pay for next years. They only do reservations 11 months in advance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)