Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Spring Break Savings Challenge Day 3: Save Money on Your Car

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 103 Replies

Welcome to Day 3 of the Spring Break Savings Challenge!

How do you keep costs down for your car? Before you hit the road with your precious cargo on board, it's important to make sure your car is ready. Getting it ready doesn't have to be expensive, though, if you follow a few simple tricks:

• Buy the cheapest gas your car allows.
  • Use an independent shop to stick to the maintenance schedule suggested in your owner's manual.
  • Rotate your tires a few times a year.
  • Do what you can yourself, like changing the air filter, filling the tires with air, changing your wipers.

What are your tricks to keeping car maintenance costs low?
What's the most expensive thing about your car?
Have you ever had a costly repair derail your vacation plans?

One member who signs up for our Spring Break Savings Challenge and replies to all 7 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

Join Our Spring Break Savings Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oddfox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM

The biggest way we've saved on our car is by shopping around and negotiating on car insurance. The other way we've saved is by buying  used cars. We've had car expenses clean us out on occasion, but not "vacation" funds, since we really don't do much. Even with repairs it's still been cheaper buying used for us.

KateyBrands
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM

We do a lot of the maintanence on our car ourselves which helps keep costs down.unfortunatley we had to buy all new tires just recently, which cost is about $600. That kind of took a chunk out of our savings lol

CafeMom Tickers
kerryket
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

We keep on schedule with maintenance, have a great relationship with our mechanic, always pay all the bills on time or stick with payment arrangements. 

I can't think of the most expensive thing about our car, my last one which was totalled was a horrible gas guzzler.

No, we did not have a costly repair derail vacations, but we have a roadside assistance plan to help avoid it.

diesels_mom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM
our biggest savings onour car is buying adiesel fuel car that on the highway gets over 50 miles a gallon .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmc0351wife
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I use synthetic oil in my car, while pricey to change it lasts longer in between changes. I also use tire repair places to get air in my tire, all that I have went to fill them for free. We change all lights, air filters, batteries ourselves to save on mechanic costs. 

Bmat
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM

My husband takes care of our car maintenance, thank goodness. I guess the most expensive is replacing the tires. We had a car once that was a lemon from the time we bought it- glad to get rid of that one.

endurablemist
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM
We keep it well maintained. We use E85 fuel, when we can, oil changes when we are supposed to, checking tires, if they are low, we fill them at the gas station. We buy part we need, like brakes online and have our local shop put them on. Not every where will do this, but they do. So we don't pay as much for the part, and the labor is usually low.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lady-t3984
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM
So far,I haven't had to pay for anything on my van or car. They're both fairly new,so I just keep the mainteance up.
johnny4ever
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

My Hubby is GREAT at Car Maintenance.We usually get gas at Kroger with our cents off.We broke down in Pennsylvania a few years ago but since my Hubby knows cars he fixed it pretty quickly!Most Expensive..replacing sensors!

lillucky8
by Jen on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I combine trips to save gas and dh does most of the repairs. The most expensive part right now is the payment. We dont usually take big vacas so repairs havent derailed a vaca yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)