Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Spring Break Savings Challenge Day 6: Go Farther For Less

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 83 Replies

Welcome to Day 6 of the Spring Break Savings Challenge!

Want to improve gas mileage in your car? A good way to start is by taking out nonessential items from your car - the less you carry, the more efficiently you'll drive and the less money you'll spend on gas. The Dept. of Energy says that every 100lb reduction in the weight of your car results in 4 to 7 cents saved per gallon.

How fuel efficient is your car?
What are your tricks for saving on gas?
Do you participate in any fuel rewards programs (i.e., Fuel Perks at Winn-Dixie supermarket)?

One member who signs up for our Spring Break Savings Challenge and replies to all 7 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

Join Our Spring Break Savings Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
endurablemist
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM
We have fuel perks with our grocery store, we also pump E85 when we can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yayay15
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I never knew that! Cool. I use my Walmart card for gas and get a discount. I try to do unnecessary driving as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2two25
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
My car is not very fuel efficient. I don't participate in any rewards programs. I don't drive that much so a tank of gas lasts me weeks. My dh car gets 35 mpg so its pretty good.
KateyBrands
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM

We get decent gas mileage in our car. And we fill up at SAMs club whenever we are there, but that's an hour drive lol. Our local grocery store has a points system. For every hundred points you have you get .10 off gas. You get a point for every dollar you spend at the store. 

CafeMom Tickers
kerryket
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM
How fuel efficient is your car? I don't know the exact MPG, it's a Honda Accord that has been well maintained, seems great on gas so far.

What are your tricks for saving on gas? I check prices at Gasbuddy.com to see if any stations have better prices than our club membership at BJ's

Do you participate in any fuel rewards programs (i.e., Fuel
Perks at Winn-Dixie supermarket)? Not currently.
MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM
We just traded in our Ford Explorer for a Ford Fusion. I have talked to other owners who say we will save a ton in gas. I can't wait!

Most of the places that we travel by car are near the gas stations that participate in fuel rewards at area grocery stores. We belong to 3 of those kinds of programs.
AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM
My work has the best gas prices in the area. Hubby gets discounts thru his work on gas. Unfortunately he works on the opposite side of the valley. So we still spend a lot.
jessica1078
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I have a fuel rewards card linked to a few grocery stores that saves 5cents per gallon for every $50 spent and it adds up quickly.my Toyota gets about 32mpg on the highway and I make sure tires are inflated properly and services are kept up. we tend to pack heavy since our 6 hour stay in a snow bank- always keep a few warm blankets bottles of water and snacks ;-)
lrose57
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM
One of our cars is very fuel efficient...37 mpg And I get fuel perks from BiLo every week....My 4Runner only gets 20 mpg but I do not drive that much only fill up tht tank every other week or more. No junk in the trunk either....lol
diesels_mom
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM
We use our Walmart card, clean out our cars at least monthly, only fill our tanks half full (cuz of the weight ), and when I'm driving I try to coast as much as possible. I get flipped off a lot for this but so what if those people beat me to the red light what do they think they're winning not gas mileage like I am.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN