Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Money Saver Challenge Day 6: Switch to Cloth ~ WIN A BONUS PRIZE!!

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 238 Replies

*BONUS DAY*
One member who replies to this post will be chosen at random to WIN a CafeMom Travel Mug!

Welcome to Day 6 of the Money Saver Challenge!

Do you use a lot of disposable paper products? You can cut costs by replacing those items with cloth: cloth napkins instead of paper napkins, reusable rags instead of paper towels, cloth diapers instead of disposable diapers, handkerchiefs instead of tissues, and cloth baby wipes instead of the store-bought kind. Some moms even use cloth toilet paper and reusable sanitary pads.

Do you use a paper products or cloth items?
If you use paper, how do you keep costs down?
If you use cloth, do you think the laundry costs offset the savings?

One member who signs up for our Money Saver Challenge and replies to at least 5 of the 7 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:
Join Our Money Saver Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

Official Rules

• The Money Saver Bonus 2 Giveaway starts 2/24/13 at 1am (ET) and ends 2/28/13 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to 5 of the 7 daily posts with appropriate comments during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom Travel Mug.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 3/7/13.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM

We use cloth hand towels instead of paper towels.I hang dry the hand towels.

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Do you use a paper products or cloth items?
Some

If you use paper, how do you keep costs down?
It takes us forever to get through a pack of paper products so I just try and buy on sale. If I run across a coupon I'll use it.

If you use cloth, do you think the laundry costs offset the savings?
No I think if you wash and dry smart you still save money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
whitewinterose
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Do you use a paper products or cloth items? We use cloth diapers, mama pads, napkins and dish towels.
If you use paper, how do you keep costs down? We still get a roll of paper towels a month to clean any pet accidents. Since I don't want to mix that with our hand towels and such.
If you use cloth, do you think the laundry costs offset the savings? I think the cost saves a lot. Most things can be made from re-purposes cloth items. As for laundry, a little extra soap for diapers and an extra wash or two for diapers and mama cloth, but everything else can be washed with others so really no extra wash. The savings of money and planet is worth it!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Do you use a paper products or cloth items?  I use both
If you use paper, how do you keep costs down?  I buy store brand
If you use cloth, do you think the laundry costs offset the savings?  I never thought about it

_Mrs.H_
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM

We use both but we use more cloth things then disposable.
I use cloth diapers and wipes on the baby.  We use cloth napkins.  
I am crossing over into the world of cloth mom pads.  
The only thing I don't have reusable of is [sandwich] bags.  I usually use bowls but I will get/make some at some point. 
For us it is more then the savings.  It is about the environment too. 

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Do you use a lot of disposable paper products? Not really.  The biggest this we reuse are plastic/paper bags we get from the grocery store.  Of course I also have my dry towels as well.

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Do you use a paper products or cloth items? We use paper products

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM

If you use paper, how do you keep costs down? I shop at the dollar store so it's much cheaper then going to Target/Walmarts.  We also take extras when we are out to eat or something.  If we don't use a napkin or something we bring it home.

blueeyes2000
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Use both

Buy in bulk

Never thought about it
AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM

If you use cloth, do you think the laundry costs offset the savings? We don't use cloth, and I have often wondered how it effects the cost of laundry and the amount of extra time someone spends doing it.  Will be interesting to see what others have to say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)