Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Money Saver Challenge Day 5: Cut Laundry Costs

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 251 Replies

Welcome to Day 5 of the Money Saver Challenge!

How much do you spend on your laundry? About 90% of the energy used by your washer comes from heating up the water to wash your clothes. Save money and energy by using the cold water cycle whenever possible and by doing laundry at night during "off peak" billing hours.

How often do you do laundry?
Do you wash your clothes in cold water? Would you?
What time of day or night do you usually do laundry?

One member who signs up for our Money Saver Challenge and replies to at least 5 of the 7 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:
Join Our Money Saver Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alandou
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:04 AM

I usually only do laundry 2 times a week. One day I do DD's clothes and kitchen towels and another day I do our clothing and bath towels. I have used cold water for a long time now and it works just fine with my DIY laundry soap. I usually wash in the afternoons.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this

How often do you do laundry?  Two days a week -- Monday and Thursdays -- unless something else comes up
Do you wash your clothes in cold water? Would you?  I wash whites/sheets from sickies in hot...everything else is washed in cold water
What time of day or night do you usually do laundry?  Our electric company doesn't offer "off-peak" hourly rates, so I wash any time I want during the day although I try to get it done by 3 p.m.

LostInOz79
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM
I wash once a week or when I have enough for a full load. I make my own laundry detergent and wash everything except for whites on cold. We don't have peak hours so it doesn't matter what time of day I do out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dabberdoo
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:49 AM
I do laundry every day. The are 8 of us. I use cold water.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
_Mrs.H_
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM
I have to do laundry everyday. The only thing I was on hot is the baby's diapers and I like to start those before I go to bed.
johnny4ever
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Twice a week..I wash in Cold Water.I use my outside clothesline alot.Currently I have been using my inside one.We need a new washer/dryer...I still have a old top loader!I use Arm & Hammer Detergeant.

efarrugia
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM

i always use cold water. i usually do Laundry on weekends. i know night is best, but I tend to get tired and go to bed totally forgeting it, causing me to re wash

AjCeCeMom
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM
We do laundry on an evening, we use cold water sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel like i do laundry 24/7. Id say an average of at least one load per day. I always do cold wash. I dry on medium bc high shrinks the clothes (ive tried). I use a timed cycle so it doesnt go for hours on the sensing cycle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM
We do laundry as needed, usually 2 loads a week.

Right now I use warm water, as my apartment includes utilities (this ends next week im moving) and because the cold water is directly from ouutside-- the water is about 37 degrees coming in.

Usually, I do use "cold".

I do laundry at night. Im a night owl and so is so.

However in the summer I try to do it early morning while its still cool so I can hang it to dry on the line, instead of using the dryer.

I pay no more than .05 per load for detergent at recommended load size per bottle. (I usually use half the recommended amount)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)